April 8, 1990|
Longueuil, Quebec, Canada
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||186 lb (84 kg; 13 st 4 lb)|
Lake Erie Monsters|
Grand Rapids Griffins
167th overall, 2008|
Chouinard played junior hockey in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with the Victoriaville Tigres. He was drafted 167th overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft by the Colorado Avalanche. In the 2009–10 season, after leading the QMJHL with 23 goals scored among defensemen and helping the Tigres to an equal franchise best season of 46 wins, he was selected to the QMJHL First All-Star Team and named as a finalist for the Emile Bouchard Trophy as the league's best defenseman. Off the ice Joel was awarded the Paul Dumont Trophy as the Leagues personality of the year.
Chouinard was signed by the Colorado Avalanche to a three-year entry level contract on May 26, 2010. After attending the Avalanche's 2010 training camp, he was then assigned and began his professional career with their affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters of the American Hockey League in the 2010–11 season.
With his first two professional seasons hampered by injury, Chouinard again had a disrupted pre-season and began the 2012–13 season familiarly on the sidelines. Upon returning to health, Chouinard was reassigned by the Avalanche from the Monsters to second tier affiliation, the Denver Cutthroats of the Central Hockey League. In 42 games with the Cutthroats, he place second amongst blueliners in scoring with 6 goals and 20 points.
At the conclusion of his contract Chouinard's right's were relinquished with the Avalanche, and on August 20, 2013, he was signed as a free agent to a one-year AHL deal with the Hamilton Bulldogs. In the 2013-14 season with the Bulldogs, Chouinard appeared in a career high 67 games with 2 goals and 9 points.
On September 11, 2014, Chouinard signed a one-year contract with the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL. On January 5, 2015, the Grand Rapids Griffins signed Chouinard to a professional try out. Prior to signing a professional try out with the Griffins, Chouinard led all defenceman in scoring, recording five goals and 15 assists in 31 games with Toledo this season.
On September 2, 2015, the Toledo Walleye re-signed Chouinard to a one-year contract extension. During the 2014–15 season, he recorded five goals and 15 assists in 34 games with the Walleye, and eight assists in 19 postseason games. He also appeared in 29 games at the AHL level, with two games for the Grand Rapids Griffins, and 27 for the Iowa Wild, where he recorded five goals and ten assists.
On February 12, 2016, the Grand Rapids Griffins signed Chouinard to a professional try out. Prior to signing a professional try out with the Griffins, Chouinard led all Toledo Walleye defenceman in scoring, recording six goals and 19 assists in 38 games. On March 4, 2016, the Griffins signed Chouinard to a standard player's contract. He scored the game-winning goal in his Griffins debut, a 4–3 win at Iowa on February 13. On March 10, Chouinard was assigned to the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL. Since joining the Griffins on a professional try out, he has recorded one goal and two assists in eight games. On March 30, Chouinard was recalled by the Griffins.
|2010–11||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||35||8||9||17||14||2||0||0||0||0|
|2011–12||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||53||0||10||10||43||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||10||0||0||0||11||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||2||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||9||1||3||4||0||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|First All-Star Team||2009–10|
|Paul Dumont Trophy||2009–10|||
- "Hoffman is MVP, Straka is Rookie of the Year". insidehockey.com. 2010-04-04. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "Hoffman named MVP of the QMJHL". Sportsnet.ca. 2010-03-31. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- "Avalanche signs Chouinard, Holos". Colorado Avalanche. 2010-05-26. Retrieved 2010-11-20.
- "Cutthroats shuffle roster; Assigned D-man from AHL". Central Hockey League. 2012-10-31. Archived from the original on 2013-10-26. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Bulldogs sign Joel Chouinard". Hamilton Bulldogs. 2013-08-20. Archived from the original on 2013-08-23. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Walleye sign defenseman Joel Chouinard". BCSN. September 11, 2014. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- "Three Join From Toledo". Grand Rapids Griffins. January 5, 2015. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- "Chouinard back in T-Town". Toledo Walleye. September 2, 2015. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "Andersson, Chouinard Headed to Grand Rapids". Grand Rapids Griffins. February 12, 2016. Retrieved February 12, 2016.
- "Chouinard Signed to Standard Player's Contract". Grand Rapids Griffins. March 4, 2016. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- "Griffins Assign Chouinard to Toledo". Grand Rapids Griffins. March 10, 2016. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- "Retrieving Walleye". Grand Rapids Griffins. March 30, 2016. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "Americans add veteran defenseman Joel Chouinard". Allen Americans. 2016-08-02. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "Congratulations Joel Chouninard on his career". Allen Americans. 2019-05-02. Retrieved 2019-05-02.