Joan Hamburg (born August 12, 1935) is a radio personality in New York City. In the early 1970s Hamburg started her radio career with small consumer (bargain shopping) segments on the long-running Rambling with Gambling morning show, eventually earning her own show.
Early life and education
Description of her show
Hamburg is extremely celebrity, society, and show-business-conscious, and billed as "New York Radio's First Lady." The orientation of her broadcasts shifted dramatically[when?] from consumerism to a radio version of the Today Show, including the day's news, food and restaurant features, and celebrity and newsmaker interviews. Hamburg still takes consumer questions, and gives listeners advice about restaurants, events, and the like. Carol Channing, a regular listener, once called Joan Hamburg "The Yellow Pages of The World".
Hamburg frequently broadcasts from her favorite places instead of a studio -- e.g., Sardi's, the Hamptons, Canyon Ranch, The Villages, Florida and so on. She worked closely with her production staff to provide a seamless "I can find anything for you" expertise, sometimes discernible in a drawn-out "let me see" pause.
Beginning in January 2014, her Monday-Friday program became a feature on WOR-710 from 10:00-Noon, Saturday and Sunday. In May 2014 her program was cancelled after 35 years with the station.
As of September 20, 2014 Hamburg is heard on WABC-770, Saturdays 1:00-3:00 PM.
- Ketcham, Diane (1997-07-20). "And You Should See the Lobster Salad at $42 a Pound". The New York Times. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- Gladstone, Valerie (2000-07-09). "New York Radio's Folksy Powerhouse". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- Burros, Marian (1994-02-27). "Making it Work;The Shopper's Friend". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- "Joan Hamburg Show will broadcast live from Lake Sumter Landing". The Villages Daily Sun. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- "Meet the Man Who Gave Film Audiences 'The Fockers'". The Jewish Daily Forward. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- "Joan Hamburg's bio". WOR Radio. Archived from the original on 2009-07-18.
- Joan Hamburg shows at WOR 710. Retrieved June 2014
|This United States biographical article related to radio is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|