Joby Mathew (Malayalam: ജോബി മാത്യു, born 1976) is an Indian international arm wrestler. Mathew has won gold medal for India in 29th World Arm Wrestling Championship held at Hispanico, Spain. He has also won five gold medals in World Dwarf Games 2013 in Michigan, organized by Dwarf Athletic Association of America. Joby Mathew is a physically challenged person by birth with 60% disabilities. Mathew has a height of 3 feet 5 inches and has severely under-developed legs, which is a condition caused by Proximal Fimoral Focal Deficiency PFFD.
Joby Mathew has won medals at multiple international events. Various events that he has won medals at both general category and disabled category include arm wrestling, fencing, athletics, and body building.
Joby, who works for the Bharat Petroleum Corporation as a sports trainer, is also the first wheel-chaired fencer in India, holds a brown belt in karate, is a member of the Kerala state parasailing and paragliding team and is a keen swimmer.
Rotary Club of Cochin Knights honoured him by giving their 9th vocational excellence award on 20 October 2013.
- George, Arun (13 August 2013) "Joby Mathew: Nothing short of exceptional". Deccan Chronicle
- "Joby Mathew of India won Gold at 29th World Arm Wrestling Championship". etalkindia.com (14 October 2008).
- "Joby looks to conquer greater heights". newindianexpress.com (13 August 2013).
- "Save BIG with $9.99 .COMs from GoDaddy!". Go Daddy.
- "Who needs legs? Meet Joby, the 3ft 5in world champion arm wrestler who can bring down opponents twice his size". dailymail.co.uk (6 October 2009).
- "Pt Usha Photo Gallery: Latest Pictures, Best News Photos, Images about on Pt Usha". Firstpost.
- "'My dwarf husband is a giant amongst men'". fridaymagazine.ae.
|This biographical article related to Indian sports is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|