Jody P. Weis
|Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department|
February 1, 2008 – March 1, 2011
|Appointed by||Richard M. Daley|
|Preceded by||Phil Cline|
|Succeeded by||Garry McCarthy|
|Born||December 10, 1957|
Fort Myers, Florida
|Alma mater||University of Tampa|
|Department||Federal Bureau of Investigation|
Chicago Police Department
|Rank||Federal agent (sworn in 1985)|
Superintendent (sworn in 2008)
Jody Peter "J.P." Weis is the former Superintendent of Police of the Chicago Police Department. Weis was selected to serve as the 54th Superintendent of Police by Mayor Richard M. Daley. Upon his resignation and retirement, he was replaced by Interim Superintendent Terry Hillard, a predecessor. He was permanently replaced by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who named Garry McCarthy to the post. Superintendent Weis, when he became Superintendent, had replaced former Superintendent of Police Philip J. Cline after his resignation. Superintendent Weis took office on February 1, 2008.
On March 17, 2009, a few months after the Chicago lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police announced that they would be funding the defense of Cmdr. Jon Burge, the lodge produced a vote of no-confidence in Weis.
A 2012 audit by the Chicago Inspector General determined that the Chicago Police Department had under-counted aggravated assault and aggravated battery victims by 25 percent by not following state guidelines by counting each incident rather than each victim. Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy attributed the error to the administration of his predecessor, Jody Weis.
- "Chicago Police Superintendent Jody P. Weis Officially Takes Oath of Office: 60th Police Superintendent Sworn in at Chicago Police Headquarters" (PDF) (Press release). Chicago Police Department. February 10, 2008. Retrieved July 11, 2009.
- "Biography of Jody P. Weis, Superintendent of Police, Chicago Police Department" (PDF) (Press release). Chicago Police Department. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 25, 2011. Retrieved February 7, 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-12-28. Retrieved 2012-08-28.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Rozas, Angela (March 17, 2009). "Jody Weis gets no-confidence vote". Chicago Breaking News Center. Chicago: Tribune Company. Retrieved February 7, 2010.
- Chicago Sun Times "Chicago Police underreported number of 2012 aggravated assault and battery, audit finds" BY FRANK MAIN AND STEFANO ESPOSITO April 7, 2014
- Chicago Tribune: "Inspector General: Chicago police underreported aggravated assaults, batteries in 2012" by Jeremy Gorner April 07, 2014
- REPORT OF THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL: "CHICAGO POLICE DEPARTMENT ASSAULT-RELATED CRIME STATISTICS CLASSIFICATION AND REPORTING AUDIT APRIL 2014
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Press Release on Appointing Jody Weis SAC in Philadelphia
- Daley Reaches Outside City for New Top Cop
- Department Webpage
|This Chicago-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography article about law enforcement in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|