|Born||Sevenoaks, Kent, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Swing, blues, pop|
|Labels||Candid, NSA Productions|
|Associated acts||The Horne Section with Alex Horne|
Early life and education
Educated at Sevenoaks School, Stilgoe went on to study Music at the University of Southampton achieving a First Class degree. After spending a year performing on cruise ships, Stilgoe continued his musicianship at Trinity College of Music.
Stilgoe's first public engagement was at the Pizza on the Park, London in 2004. Following the performance, Dame Cleo Laine later called Stilgoe in to perform with her and husband Sir John Dankworth on their Radio 2 show Live at the Stables. He then signed with jazz label Candid in 2007, Candid released his debut album I Like This One in 2008 to praise from national press.
In 2007; Stilgoe supported Melody Gardot at the Queen Elizabeth Hall. His debut solo appearance at Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2011 with sell-out show 'One Hour!' received a five star review from The Scotsman.
After contractual issues with Candid, Stilgoe bought himself out of the contract and used money earned from his concerts to record demos of new songs. Nick Stewart then signed Stilgoe under his management with Nick Stewart and Associates in 2010.
With Grammy-nominated producer James McMillan, Stilgoe recorded a new album We Look to the Stars, released in July 2012. The album went to number 1 in the Amazon Jazz Chart on its day of release. From the album, We Should Kiss was released as a single in July 2012. The single was used by French shoe designer Christian Louboutin in his showcase –Fue at Le Crazy Horse in Paris and exhibition at the London Design Museum., In February 2014, Stilgoe released a live album Songs on Film, which includes songs from classic American films and Stilgoe's original compositions inspired by them. The album was commercially released by Linn Records on 17 November 2014, alongside his earlier albums. Stilgoe has participated in numerous recording sessions as both a pianist and singer; including the single "Elephant" by Alexandra Burke.
A publishing contract with Kassner Music was signed in 2012.
Comedy and radio
Stilgoe's radio work includes contributions and special guest appearances with Alan Carr, Sir Michael Parkinson and for Friday Night Is Music Night. Stilgoe also appeared on The Now Show in 2011 and 2013 and has been a member of BBC Radio 4's The Horne Section with Alex Horne since 2010.
Stilgoe lives in west London with his wife, actress and director Katie Beard.
- "What's On: What's On in Liverpool and Merseyside". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- Quinn.P. (October 2012). Joe Stilgoe "We Look To The Stars",Jazzwise p43.
- Towers.Ian. (2 August 2012). Joe's Keyed Up Over His New Jazz Album, The Weekly News.
- "Sevenoaks | Senior Only Mixed Independent School | Kent (See also London – Outer)". Guide to Independent Schools. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Where are they now?". Southampton.ac.uk. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "New album from Trinity Laban jazz impresario | News". Trinity Laban. 19 June 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Joe Stilgoe". Bosentertainment.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Jazz label Candid release Joe Stilgoe's debut". Blueprostudios.com. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Melody Gardot & Joe Stilgoe". Remotegoat.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "PRESS". Joe Stilgoe. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Nick Stewart & Associates Ltd Independent Marketing, Management and Publishing for the Music Industry". Nickstewart.net. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Joe Stilgoe No. 1 in Jazz Chart". Absolutemarketing.co.uk. 2 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Fashionair – The Making of Dancer in a Daydream With Christian Louboutin". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- Helliker. Adam, 'Katie beard Gets Expensive Heels for Engagement Present', Sunday Express. Sunday 15 April 2012
- "joe-stilgoe-jazz-comedy-radio-2". joestilgoe.com. Retrieved 2014-05-31.