Johan Sigismund von Møsting
|Johan Sigismund von Mösting|
Johan Sigismund von Mösting, portray by Emilius Ditlev Bærentzen (1830s)
2 November 1759|
|Died||16 September 1843 (aged 83)
|Resting place||Frederiksberg Ældre Kirkegård|
|Alma mater||University of Copenhagen|
|Occupation||Civil servant, politician|
|Known for||Danmarks Nationalbank
|Awards||Order of the Elephant|
Johan Sigismund von Mösting (2 November 1759 – 16 September 1843) was a Danish banker and finance minister. He was a key figure in the foundation of Bank of Denmark in 1818. His name is today also associated with Møstings Hus ("Møsting's House"), his former summer residence in Frederiksberg, Copenhagen, which is now used as am exhibition space.
Early life and education
Johan Sigismund von Mösting was born at Nygård on the island of Møn. His father was Frederik Christian von Møsting who was governor of the island. Johan Sigismund von Mösting studied jurisprudence at University of Copenhagen, graduating in 1782.
1813 became director of the Danish Reichsbank. He subsequently served as Denmark's minister of finance until 1831, president of the Chamber of Finance and Prime Minister of the Danish Kings. In 1838 he served as Director of the King's library.
- Swedish Embassy, Copenhagen, where Møsting lived from 1814 to 1818
- About Johan Sigismund von Møsting, Dansk Statsminister (in Danish). GWNI. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- Hamel, Jürgen (August 11–15, 1998). "Heinrigh Christian Schumaker – mediator between Denmark and Germany; Centre of Scientific Communication in Astronomy". Proceedings of the Wessel Symposium at The Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters. Copenhagen: Kgl. Danske Videnskabernes Selskab, 2001. p. 111. ISBN 87-7876-236-7.
- Dreyer, J. L. E. (1911). "The origin of the 'Astronomische Nachrichten'". 34: 162. Bibcode:1911Obs....34..162D.
- Blue, Jennifer (2007-07-25). "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature". USGS. Retrieved 2007-08-05.