Johannes Christian Vogel FLS FAAAS (born 15 May 1963) is a German botanist, who since 1 February 2012 has been Director General of the Museum für Naturkunde and Professor of Biodiversity and Public Science at Humboldt University, both in Berlin. He previously held the post of Keeper of Botany at the Natural History Museum in the United Kingdom from 2004 to 2012. He is notable for his resplendent handlebar moustache.
In 2003 he married Sarah Darwin, a great-great-granddaughter of the naturalist Charles Darwin; they have two sons Leo Erasmus Darwin Vogel (born 2003) and Josiah Algy Darwin Vogel (born 2005). In 2009/10 the family were part of a recreation of Darwin's voyage on the Beagle for the Dutch TV show Beagle: In Darwin's Wake} (Dutch: Beagle: In het kielzog van Darwin) on board of the sailing ship Stad Amsterdam.
Vogel is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) (2010).
- Homepage Museum für Naturkunde
- ‘VOGEL, Johannes Christian’, Who's Who 2011, A & C Black, 2011; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2010 ; online edn, Oct 2010 accessed 10 May 2011
- Vogel's homepage at the NHM London
- "Beagle website". VPRO. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- Relative recreates Darwin voyage, BBC News, 1 September 2009
- http://www.aaas.org/aboutaaas/fellows/2010.shtml American Association for the Advancement of Science:Members Elected as Fellows in 2010 (Accessed May 2011)
- IPNI. J.C.Vogel.
|This article about a German botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|