From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
John A. Hall (born 1949) is the James McGill Professor of Comparative Historical Sociology at McGill University, Montreal. He is the author or editor of over 20 books.
- (2013) The Importance of Being Civil. Princeton University Press.
- (2013) Nationalism and War, edited with Sinisa Malesevic. Cambridge University Press.
- (2010) Ernest Gellner: An Intellectual Biography. Verso.
- (2006) An Anatomy of Power: The Social Theory of Michael Mann, edited with Ralph Schroeder. Cambridge University Press.
- (2006) National Identity and the Varieties of Capitalism: The Danish Experience. edited with John L. Campbell and Ove Kaj Pedersen. McGill-Queen's University Press.
- (2005) Civil Society: A Reader, edited with Frank Trentmann. Palgrave Macmillan.
- (2005) Historical Methods in the Social Sciences, edited with Joseph M. Bryant. Sage. 4 vols.
- (2003) The Nation-State in Question, edited with T. V. Paul and John Ikenberry. Princeton University Press.
- (1999) International Order and the Future of World Politics, edited with T. V. Paul. Cambridge University Press.
- (1999) Is America Breaking Apart?, with Charles Lindholm. Princeton University Press.
- (1998) The State of the Nation: Ernest Gellner and the Theory of Nationalism. Cambridge University Press.
- (1996) The Social Philosophy of Ernest Gellner, edited with I. C. Jarvie. Rodopi.
- (1996) International Orders. Polity Press.
- (1995) Civil Society: Theory, History, Comparison. Polity Press.
- (1994) Coercion and Consent: Studies on the Modern State. Polity Press.
- (1993) The State. Routledge. 3 vols.
- (1992) Transition to Modernity: Essays on Power, Wealth and Belief, with Ernest Gellner and I. C. Jarvie. Cambridge University Press.
- (1989) The State, with John Ikenberry. University of Minnesota Press.
- (1988) Europe and the Rise of Capitalism, edited with Jean Baechler and Michael Mann. Basil Blackwell.
- (1987) Liberalism: Politics, Ideology and the Market. University of North Carolina Press.
- (1986) States in History. Basil Blackwell.
- (1986) Rediscoveries: Some Neglected Modern European Political Thinkers. Oxford University Press.
- (1985) Powers and Liberties: The Causes and Consequences of the Rise of the West. Penguin.
- (1981) Diagnoses of Our Time: Six Views of Our Social Condition. Heinemann Educational Books.
- (1979) The Sociology of Literature. Longman.