John Allan Grim
John Allen Grim (born October 7, 1946) is the co-founder and director of the Forum on Religion and Ecology at Yale University, alongside his wife, Mary Evelyn Tucker. He teaches at Yale University, where he holds appointments in the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, the Divinity School, and the Department of Religious Studies. He has also taught at Sarah Lawrence College and Bucknell University.
Grim teaches in the joint MA program in religion and ecology at Yale and offers courses in World religions and ecology and Native American and Indigenous traditions. He specializes in Native American religions and has studied the Salish people of Washington State and the Crow/Apsaalooke people of Montana. He has also undertaken field work with healing practitioners in East and Southeast Asia and with religious leaders in Vrindaban and New Delhi, India. He teaches hybrid/online classes at Yale as well as a MOOC (massive open online course) specialization of four courses on Journey of the Universe and “The Worldview of Thomas Berry.” Among the awards he has received are the Interfaith Visionary Award in 2010, the Chancellor’s Medal/Joint and Common Future Award (University of Massachusetts, Boston) in 2013, the Passionist Award for promoting Thomas Berry’s work in 2016.
Grim is the author of The Shaman, the co-author of Ecology and Religion. He has also edited and co-edited numerous volumes including Living Cosmology, the Routledge Handbook of Religion and Ecology, Worldviews and Ecology, and Indigenous Traditions and Ecology, among others.
Collaborations with Thomas Berry
Grim studied world religions with Thomas Berry in graduate school and worked closely with him for more than 40 years. He co-edited several of his books including The Christian Future and the Fate of Earth and Selected Writings on the Earth Community
Forum on Religion and Ecology
John Grim is co-founder and director of the Forum on Religion and Ecology at Yale. From 1995-1998 Grim and Tucker organized a series of ten conferences on World Religions and Ecology at the Center for the Study of World Religions at Harvard University. They are the series editors for the ten volumes (distributed by Harvard University Press) that came out of the conferences. At a culminating conference at the United Nations in 1998, they founded the Forum on Religion and Ecology. Speaking at that event were such luminaries as Tim Wirth (former senator from Colorado and President of the UN Foundation), Tu Weiming (of Harvard and Peking University), Maurice Strong (former Under-Secretary-General of the U.N.), and Bill Moyers (PBS journalist)
Grim also frequently speaks and gives interviews on religion and ecology and issues of ecological importance, such as Laudato Si' (the Papal Encyclical on the environment) and Standing Rock/DAPL.
Journey of the Universe
John Grim is one of the executive producers of the Emmy award-winning film, Journey of the Universe. This documentary aired on PBS for a number of years and is part of a multimedia project that also includes a series of conversations with scientists and environmentalists on DVD and a book by the same name from Yale University Press.
American Teilhard Association
Since 1996, Grim has served as president of the American Teilhard Association. The Association is dedicated to the work and legacy of French paleontologist, philosopher, and Jesuit, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.
Ph.D. Fordham University, 1979
M.A. Fordham University, 1975
B.A., St. John's University, MN, 1968
St. John’s University, doctorate, 2011
California Institute of Integral Studies, doctorate, 2005
•Jenkins, Willis, Mary Evelyn Tucker, and John Grim, eds. Routledge Handbook on Religion and Ecology. New York, NY: Routledge Books, 2016.
•Tucker, Mary Evelyn and John Grim, eds. Living Cosmology: Christian Responses to Journey of the Universe. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2016.
•Tucker, Mary Evelyn and John Grim, eds. Thomas Berry: Selected Writings on the Earth Community. (Spiritual Masters Series.) Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2014.
•Grim, John and Mary Evelyn Tucker. Ecology and Religion. Washington, D.C.: Island Press, 2014.
•Tucker, Mary Evelyn and John Grim, eds. The Christian Future and the Fate of Earth: Collected Essays of Thomas Berry. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2009.
•Grim, John, ed. Indigenous Traditions and Ecology: The Interbeing of Cosmology and Community. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press for CSWR series World Religions and Ecology, 2001.
•Tucker, Mary Evelyn and John Grim, eds. Religion and Ecology: Can the Climate Change? Daedalus, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Cambridge, MA, Fall 2001.
•Tucker, Mary Evelyn and John Grim, eds. Worldviews and Ecology: Religion, Philosophy, and the Environment. Lewisburg, PA: Bucknell University Press, 1993, paperback edition Orbis Books, 1994. (Eighth printing 2003, Translated into Indonesian).
•Grim, John, ed. Shamans and Preachers, Color Symbolism and Commercial Evangelism: Reflections on Early Mid-Atlantic Religious Encounter in Light of the Columbian Quincentennial. Special Issue American Indian Quarterly. University of Nebraska Press, Fall 1992, Volume XVI, Number 4.
•Grim, John. The Shaman, Patterns of Siberian and Ojibway Healing Civilization of the American Indian Series #165, Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1983; paper back, 1984; reprinted in 1987 as The Shaman, Patterns of Religious Healing Among the Ojibway Indians. French translation, 1985.
- "John Grim Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Dennehy, Kevin. "F&ES Launches First Online Courses in Religion and Ecology". Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Awards 2010". Temple of Understanding. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- ""Chancellor Assesses Campus Environment During 2013 Convocation"". U Mass Boston News. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- ""Care of the Earth and Climate Change" Conference and Award Ceremony". Journey of the Universe. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Grim, John (1983). Tha Shaman: Pattern of Religions Healing Among the Ojibway Indians. Norman, OK: Oklahoma University Press.
- Professional journal reviews of The Shaman include: Ethnohistory, vol. 32, no. 3, 1985; Studies in Religion, vol. 13, no. 3, 1984; New Mexico Historical Review, October 1988; Mid-America Folklore, Spring 1989; Minnesota History Quarterly, Summer 1989; American Indian Culture and Research Journal, 1987; AHP Perspective, March 1985; Sociological Analysis, 1985; Mentalities, 1984; BC Book, May 8, 1984; The Jerusalem Post, January 8, 1984. It was also presented at the Columbia University Seminar series on May 12, 1980.
- Grim and Tucker, John and Mary Evelyn (2014). Ecology and Religion. Washington D.C.: Island Press.
- Tucker and Grim, Mary Evelyn and John (2015). Living Cosmology: Christian Responses to Journey of the Universe. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books.
- Jenkins, Tucker, and Grim, Willis, Mary Evelyn, and John (2016). Routledge Handbook of Religion and Ecology. New York: Routledge.
- Tucker and Grim, Mary Evelyn and John (1994). Worldviews and Ecology: Religion, Philosophy, and the Environment. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books.
- Grim, ed., John (2001). Indigenous Traditions and Ecology. Cambridge, MA: Harvard CSWR.
- Berry, Thomas; Grim and Tucker, eds., John and Mary Evelyn (2009). Christian Future and the Fate of Earth. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books.
- Berry, Thomas; Tucker and Grim, eds., Mary Evelyn and John (2014). Selected Writings on the Earth Community. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books.
- "Religions of the World and Ecology: Archive Of Conference Materials". Forum on Religion and Ecology. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "Religions of the World and Ecology Book Series". Forum on Religion and Ecology. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "UN/AMNH Culminating Conferences". Forum on Religion and Ecology. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Bell, Matthew. "Pope Francis sounds the alarm on the environment and he wants everyone to listen". PRI's The World. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- Robert, McMahon. "How to Read Pope Francis on the Environment". Council on Foreign Relations. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- Manson, Jamie. "Panel contemplates why the papal encyclical on the environment will matter". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- Brown, Timothy. "John Grim on Standing Rock: 'This is Not Only About Water, It's All About Water'". Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Principal Bios". Journey of the Universe. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "Journey of the Universe". PBS.org.