|Born||September 10, 1970|
Teaneck, New Jersey, United States
|Occupation||Author, University Professor A commi|
|Subject||Social theory, Critical pedagogy, Industrial relations, International political economy, Higher education|
After attending high school in Athens, Greece, Asimakopoulos returned to the United States. He attended Rutgers University (New Jersey) from 1989 to 1992, where he received a bachelor's degree in sociology and economics; from 1992 to 1993 receiving his master’s degree in economics; from 1993 to 1994 receiving his master’s degree in political science; and the sociology program at the CUNY Graduate Center for his Ph.D. from 1996 to 1999.
After teaching as an adjunct professor at New Jersey and New York area universities, in 2004 he began as an assistant professor of social sciences at the City University of New York-Bronx. He came to public attention in 2006, when the City University of New York refused to renew his contract. Asimakopoulos alleged this was a political firing because of his outspoken libertarian socialist ideology. Asimakopoulos filed for arbitration which he consequently won in 2008 returning to his position.
Asimakopoulos set up Theory in Action, an interdisciplinary journal and sits on the editorial board of the Peace Studies Journal. In 2010, Asimakopoulos launched a YouTube channel, "Crushing Capitalism with Dr. Asimakopoulos", commenting on academic topics and current events.
In 2007 Asimakopoulos co-founded the Transformative Studies Institute (TSI), a progressive 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational think tank based in the United States., which has a YouTube channel and a Scribd channel. Asimakopoulos uploads activist videos to the YouTube channel. It "was created to provide an inclusive educational space for research and practice for social justice by academics, community organizers, activists, and political leaders".
- Interview with Sociologists Without Borders
- Jeff Farias Interviews Dr. John Asimakopoulos (April 28, 2009)
- Jeff Farias Interviews Dr. John Asimakopoulos (March 3, 2009)
- Asimakopoulos, John and Richard Gilman-Opalsky (Eds.). 2018. Against Capital in the Twenty-First Century: A Reader of Radical Undercurrents. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press. ISBN 978-1439913581
- Asimakopoulos, John. (Reprint edition, 2016). Social Structures of Direct Democracy: On the Political Economy of Equality. Chicago, IL: Haymarket. ISBN 978-1608464920
- Shannon, Deric, Nocella, Anthony J. and Asimakopoulos, John. (Eds.). (2012). The Accumulation of Freedom: Writings on Anarchist Economics. Oakland: AK Press. ISBN 978-1-84935-094-5
- Asimakopoulos, John. (2011). Revolt! The Next Great Transformation from Kleptocracy Capitalism to Libertarian Socialism through Counter Ideology, Societal Education, & Direct Action. New Jersey: Transformative Studies Institute Press. ISBN 978-0-9832982-0-5
Essays & articles
- Asimakopoulos, John. April–June 2016. A Radical Proposal for Direct Democracy in Large Societies. Brazilian Journal of Political Economy, Volume 36, 2(143):430-447.
- Asimakopoulos, John. Autumn 2013. Bridging Utopia and Pragmatism to Achieve Direct Economic Democracy. Anarchist Studies, 21(2):48-73.
- Asimakopoulos, John. 2010. Putting Theory in Action, in Kathleen Odell Korgen, Jonathan M. White, and Shelley K. White (Eds.), Sociologists in Action. Pine Forge Press. ISBN 978-1-4129-8283-2
- Asimakopoulos, John. 2010. The Civil Rights-Black Power Era, Direct Action, and Defensive Violence: Lessons for the Working-Class Today. Theory in Action 3(3):42-62.
- Asimakopoulos, John. 2009. The Role of Free Universities in Creating Free Societies, in Anthony J. Nocella II, Steven Best, and Peter McLaren (eds.), Academic Repression: Reflections from the Academic Industrial Complex. Oakland: AK Press. ISBN 978-1-904859-98-7
- Asimakopoulos, John. 2009. Globally Segmented Labor Markets. Critical Sociology, 35(2):175-198.
- Asimakopoulos, John. 2008. Counter Ideology and Evolutionary Change. Theory in Action, 1(1):1-22.
- Asimakopoulos, John. 2007. Societal Education, Direct Action, and Working-Class Gains, 2007. Journal of Poverty, 11(2):1-22.
- Asimakopoulos, John. 2006. The Private Property Elephant: An Anarcho-SSA analysis of globalization. In McDonough, Terrence, Michael Reich, David M. Kotz, and Maria-Alejandra Gonzalez-Perez (eds.) Growth and Crisis: Social Structure of Accumulation: Theory and Analysis. Galway, Ireland: Centre for Innovation & Structural Change at the National University of Ireland, Galway, National University of Ireland, Galway
- Asimakopoulos, John. February 2006. Economic Civil Disobedience. Infoshop.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-02-03. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "MORE ABOUT DR. ASIMAKOPOULOS". Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- About Dr. Asimakopoulos
- About Dr. Asimakopoulos
- "Faculty". Archived from the original on 2011-04-08. Retrieved 2011-05-22.
- The Chief
- Steven Best and others, Academic Repression: Reflections from the Academic Industrial Complex, Oakland: AK Press, 2009.
- The Chief
- WorldCat-Theory in Action
- Theory in Action
- Peace Studies Journal
- Crushing Capitalism with Dr. Asimakopoulos
- Graduate school
- "Message from the director" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-24. Retrieved 2011-05-22.
- Critical Sociology
- Transformative Studies Institute
- About TSI
- "Amazon.com: John Asimakopoulos: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- "John Asimakopoulos, Ph.D. – Public Intellectual". www.asimakopoulos.org. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- Asimakopoulos, John; Gilman-Opalsky, Richard, eds. (2018-02-23). Against Capital in the Twenty-First Century: A Reader of Radical Undercurrents (1st ed.). S.l.: Temple University Press. ISBN 9781439913581.
- Asimakopoulos, John (2016-03-01). Social Structures of Direct Democracy: On the Political Economy of Equality (Reprint ed.). Haymarket Books. ISBN 9781608464920.
- WorldCat - Revolt