John Botica in 2013
|Occupation||Pebble mosaic artist and tennis professional.|
Botica was born in Belgrade, Serbia in 1953 and most of his life he was involved in tennis, being a tennis professional. He has lived in United States and Germany and has settled in New Zealand since 1997. In 2004 he was able to discover his true passion,. namely pebble mosaic art establishing an innovative approach through bold usage of Maori and Polynesian motifs so common to his adopted country of New Zealand. "John Botica became interested in pebble mosaics when his uncle gave him a book on the subject. John was already an accomplished mosaicist, using bright ceramic tiles, and he was instantly intrigued by the textures and patterns that could be created using only natural pebbles". Botica has been involved in many private, and public commissions, he has created what is described in the specialist publication Mosaic Art Now, one of the world's top 100 contemporary mosaic works. Botica's ‘Tree of Life’ was commissioned by the North Shore City Council and installed at a children's playground in Greenhithe, with the latest public project at Bastion Point, in Auckland, which is arguably one of the most important sites in recent New Zealand history.
In 2013 the St. Frajou Painting Museum, Haute Garonne, France, presented the preparatory drawings for the mosaics by Botica. In 2013, he also participated in National Mosaik Art Exhibition : Magic of Mosaic: Mosaic Symposium 2013 in the Helen Smith Meeting Room, Pataka + Museum, Auckland. Botica is member of Mosaic Association of Australia and New Zealand and founding member of Art Resilience movement created by Ksenia Milicevic in 2014 in Paris, France.
- Uxbridge Arts Centre 2005, Auckland
- Waitakere City Council New Zealand 2007, Auckland
- Wainoni Park, Auckland 2007,
- Western Park, Auckland 2008,
- Papakura Children's Playground 2008,Auckland
- Wilson School 2009, Auckland
- Global Cafe 2009, Auckland
- Botanic Gardens, Auckland 2010,
- Mangere Arts Centre 2010, Auckland
- Children's Garden at Parana Park, Hamilton 2012,
- Homai College 2014, Auckland
- Bastion Point Entry 2016, Auckland
- Carlton gardens, 2018, Melbourne, Australia
- This home south of Auckland pays bright homage to a favourite artist, Glowing Trubute, Your Home & Garden, May 2004
- "Grindes Georges, John Botica et ses galets". Lepetitjournal.net. 2013-08-14.
- John Botica Resene Colour Winner of the Year, Your Home & Garden, December 2003
- Tennis pro turns artist, Our Homes Today, Times Newspapers, 27 July 2004
- Xanthe White, The art of pebble mosaics, New Zealande Listener, 26 September 2013
- Alice Leonard, photography by Karen Ablanalp, Pebble Power, John Botica has a passion for texture and pattern of pebble mosaics, NZ House & Garden, Auckland, January 2009
- "John Botica Archives". NZEDGE. 2008-04-27. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- Michael Barrett, John Botica talks about his passion for pebble mosaics, Joining the Dots, Landscape Architecture New Zealand Magazine, Issue # 05/Autumn 2010
- Pebble Mosaic Artist John Botica : Why Mosaic ?, Mosaic Art Now, 26 March 2012
- John Botica's Magnificent Pebble Mosaics, Mosaic Art Now, 14 March 2011
- Pebble dash.....Mosaic artist John Botica describes his pebble mosaics as "sculpture in the ground...Urbis Landscapes, Your Home & Garden, Issue 06,November 2005 to January 2006
- "John Botica, Koru Land | Auckland - West". Auckland-west.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "Saint-Frajou. Des mosaïques de galets à découvrir - 03/08/2013". Ladepeche.fr. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "Art Résilience, un concept actuel - 04/11/2015". Ladepeche.fr. 2015-01-01. Retrieved 2016-04-05.