John Buckland Wright
John Buckland Wright
|Born||3 December 1897|
Dunedin, New Zealand
|Died||27 September 1954(aged 56)|
|Nationality||British (b. New Zealand)|
John Buckland Wright (1897–1954) was a painter and draughtsman, but primarily an etcher and engraver who was self-taught.
Buckland Wright was born on December 3, 1897 in Dunedin, New Zealand. He moved to England in 1908. Buckland Wright studied history at Oxford and then architecture in London. He soon realised that he wanted to be an artist more than an architect and by 1921 he was living in Belgium and was elected a member of the Gravure Originale Belge in 1925. He was also a member of Xylographes Belges, SWE and LG. During the 1930s, Buckland Wright lived and worked in Paris and frequently visited S W Hayter's Atelier 17. He had one-man shows in London and throughout the continent, sometimes signing his work J B W. His work is held by the Victoria and Albert Museum, the British Museum, the National Gallery of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, and many galleries and museums in Europe and America. His work was also part of the painting event in the art competition at the 1948 Summer Olympics.
A master printmaker with an assured, swirling line, Buckland Wright passed on his skills after World War II when he taught at Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts, from 1948, and the Slade School of Fine Art, from 1953, the year that his book Etching and Engraving: Techniques and the Modern Trend was published. He illustrated over 50 books.
- "John Buckland Wright Biography". Annex Galleries Fine Prints. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "The Arts Collection: Atelier 17 : a 50th anniversary retrospective exhibition: Artists who have worked at Atelier 17". University of Wisconsin. Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- "Print | Buckland-Wright, John | V&A Search the Collections". V and A Collections. 23 June 2020. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "print | British Museum". The British Museum. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "John Buckland Wright". National Gallery of Art. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "John Buckland-Wright". The Museum of Modern Art. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "John Buckland-Wright". Olympedia. Retrieved 22 August 2020.
- "Aliye Berger's 117th Birthday". www.google.com. Retrieved 24 December 2020.
- "John Buckland Wright". British Museum. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- John Buckland-Wright: Etching and Engraving: Techniques and the Modern Trend ISBN 0486228886
- John Buckland Wright: Endeavours & Experiments (2004. Fleece Press) ISBN 0948375728
- John Buckland Wright: Surreal Times (2001. Fleece Press) ISBN 0948375612
- Anthony Reid, A Check-list of the book illustrations of John Buckland Wright together with a personal memoir (1968. Private Libraries Association, Pinner) SBN 900002-00-X