John Franklin Bruce Carruthers
John Franklin Bruce Carruthers (August 31, 1889 - January 13, 1960) was a reverend who ministered to early aviators. His son, John Franklin Bruce Carruthers presented the Carruthers Aviation Collection to Claremont McKenna College in 1950. Through subsequent gifts and purchases the collection contains about 4,000 volumes. He was the chaplain to the Portal of the Folded Wings Shrine to Aviation.
He was born in Fort Scott, Kansas on August 31, 1889 to James B. Carruthers and Anna Wood. He received his A.B. from Princeton University in 1912. He received his A.M. from Princeton in 1917 and later graduated from the Princeton Theological Seminary. From 1919 to 1924 he was head of Bible Department at Lafayette College. He died on January 13, 1960.
- The small business problem as I see it (1940)
- Line and staff. Camp Hopkins (1942)
- Scrapbook of early aeronautica with William Upcott
- The thirteenth disciple, founder, Church of All Sinners
- "Carruthers Memorial Aviation Collection". Claremont McKenna College. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
The Carruthers Aviation Collection on the history of aviation was presented to Claremont McKenna College in 1950 by the Rev. and Mrs. John F. B. Carruthers. Subsequent gifts and purchases have increased the collection to its present size of approximately 4,000 volumes. The strong emphasis on World War I aeronautical history is represented by Italian, French, British and American publications.
- Who Was Who in America - Volume 3, 1951-1960. Marquis Who's Who. 1951–1960.
Son of James B. and Anna (Wood) C.; A.B., Princeton, 1912, A.M., 1917; grad. Princeton Theol. Sem., 1917; D.D., Lafayette Coll., Easton, Pa., 1924; post grad. study U. of Geneva (Switzerland), Boston U., U. of So. Cal., Princeton, Harvard, U. of Pa.; married Mabel Grandin, July 9, 1919; children—John, Jane, Priscilla, Polly. Ordained to ministry of Presbyterian Ch., 1918; ...
- John Franklin Bruce Carruthers in the World War I draft registration of June 5, 1917
- Catalogue. Princeton University.
John Franklin Bruce Carruthers, A.B., Princeton University, 1912.
- "Dr. Carruthers, Air History Specialist, Dies". Los Angeles Times. January 14, 1960.