John H. Healey
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
John H. Healey, MD (born 1952) is an American cancer surgeon, researcher, and expert in the surgical treatment of benign and malignant bone tumors and other musculoskeletal cancers. He serves as Chair of the Orthopaedic Service and Stephen P. McDermott Chair in Surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC), as well as Professor of Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College, in New York, NY.
Healey earned a Bachelor of Science degree in biology from Yale University and a Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Vermont College of Medicine. He completed training in surgery, orthopaedic surgery, and musculoskeletal oncology at the New England Medical Center Hospital in Boston, MA, and at the Hospital for Special Surgery and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, NY.
Healey’s research and clinical activities in the area of hip reconstruction have led to the development of orthopaedic implant devices, including the Healey Flanged Revision Acetabular Component™ and the Healey Hip Swivel™ (manufactured by Biomet Corporation, Warsaw, Indiana).
Specific research areas include orthopaedic reconstructive surgery for metastatic disease, improving outcomes and quality of life for patients with pediatric bone tumors (osteosarcoma, Ewing sarcoma) and understanding the molecular biology of bone tumors.
Awards and leadership
Healey has written more than 250 research articles and book chapters on the topics of osteosarcoma; Ewing sarcoma; Paget’s disease; soft tissue sarcomas; giant cell tumor of bone; joint replacement techniques in the surgical treatment of bone tumors; and the use of musculoskeletal surgery to improve pain and function in patients with advanced cancers. He has served as Deputy Editor of Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research since 2005.
- Physician profile: John H. Healey, MD. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center website. Available at: http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/doctor/john-healey. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- Weill Cornell Medical College Faculty, Orthopaedic Surgery. Weill Cornell Medical College website. Available at: http://med.cornell.edu/faculty/departments/ortho.html. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- Physician profile: John H. Healey, MD. Hospital for Special Surgery website. Available at: http://www.hss.edu/physicians_healey-john.asp. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Healey™ Flanged Revision Acetabular System [product brochure]. Warsaw, Ind: Biomet, Inc; 1998. Available at: http://www.biomet.com.mx/biomet2011/pdf/ORTHOPEDICS/CADERA/Copa%20de%20Revision%20Healy-Flanged.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Meyers PA, Healey JH, Chou AJ, et al. (April 2011). "Addition of pamidronate to chemotherapy for the treatment of osteosarcoma". Cancer. 117 (8): 1736–44. PMC . PMID 21472721. doi:10.1002/cncr.25744.
- Schwab JH, Healey JH, Athanasian EA (January 2008). "Wide en bloc extra-articular excision of the elbow for sarcoma with complex reconstruction". J Bone Joint Surg Br. 90 (1): 78–83. PMID 18160504. doi:10.1302/0301-620X.90B1.19958.
- Schwarz GS, Disa JJ, Mehrara BJ, Healey JH, Cordeiro PG (January 2012). "Reconstruction of oncologic tibial defects in children using vascularized fibula flaps". Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 129 (1): 195–206. PMID 22186510. doi:10.1097/PRS.0b013e318230e463.
- Errani C, Zhang L, Sung YS, et al. (August 2011). "A novel WWTR1-CAMTA1 gene fusion is a consistent abnormality in epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of different anatomic sites". Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 50 (8): 644–53. PMC . PMID 21584898. doi:10.1002/gcc.20886.
- Osborne TS, Ren L, Healey JH, et al. (October 2011). "Evaluation of eIF4E expression in an osteosarcoma-specific tissue microarray". J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 33 (7): 524–8. PMC . PMID 21941146. doi:10.1097/MPH.0b013e318223d0c1.
- 1990s JOA Alumni, Japanese Orthopaedic Association Traveling Fellowships. American Orthopaedic Association website. http://www.aoassn.org/programs/traveling-fellowships/japanese-orthopaedic-association-(joa)/joa-alumni/1990s-joa-alumni.aspx. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Visiting Professors. Peking University People's Hospital website. Available at: http://english.pkuph.edu.cn/international/visiting/. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Pat on the back. AAOS Now; June 2010. http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/jun10/youraaos8.asp. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Executive officers and boards. Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation website. Available at: http://www.mtf.org/executive_officers_boards.html#execs3. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Search Results for author Healey JH on PubMed.
- Lin PP, Healey JH. Sarcomas of Bone. Surgical Oncology. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2001:20B_1015-1053.
- Brennan MF, Healey JH. Soft Tissue, Sarcoma and Bone Tumors. Townsend: Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, 16/E. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders 2000:511-532.
- Healey JH. Paget's Disease of Bone. In: Paget S, Pellici P, Gibofsky A, Beary J, Manual of Rheumatology and Orthopedics 4th Edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven,2000:47:358-361.
- Healey JH, Kennedy JG. Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors About the Knee. The Adult Knee. Editors: J.J. Callaghan, A.G. Rosenberg, H.E. Rubash, P.T. Simion, T.L.Wickiewicz. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. Philadelphia PA 2003: Chapter 33:495-520.
- Kang L, Manoso MW, Boland PJ, Healey JH, Athanasian EA (November 2010). "Features of grade 3 giant cell tumors of the distal radius associated with successful intralesional treatment". J Hand Surg Am. 35 (11): 1850–7. PMID 20934816. doi:10.1016/j.jhsa.2010.07.010.
- Steensma M, Boland PJ, Morris CD, Athanasian E, Healey JH (March 2012). "Endoprosthetic treatment is more durable for pathologic proximal femur fractures". Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 470 (3): 920–6. PMC . PMID 21879407. doi:10.1007/s11999-011-2047-z.
- Abdeen A, Healey JH (September 2010). "Allograft-prosthesis composite reconstruction of the proximal part of the humerus: surgical technique". J Bone Joint Surg Am. 92 Suppl 1 Pt 2: 188–96. PMID 20844174. doi:10.2106/JBJS.J.00167.
- Manoso MW, Boland PJ, Healey JH, Tyler W, Morris CD (December 2005). "Acetabular development after bipolar hemiarthroplasty for osteosarcoma in children". J Bone Joint Surg Br. 87 (12): 1658–62. PMID 16326881. doi:10.1302/0301-620X.87B12.16422.
- Healey JH, Cancer Pain Management in Orthopedic Surgery. In Encyclopedia of Pain. Editors: R.F. Schmidt and W.d. Willis. Springer Berlin Heidelberg 2007. Chapter 289, 359-362.
- Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research Editorial Board. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research website. Available at: http://www.clinorthop.org/services/editorial_board.html. Retrieved 2012-08-15.