John H. Reagan High School (Austin, Texas)
John H. Reagan High School is a public, co-educational secondary school in Austin, Texas. It is part of the Austin Independent School District. Reagan High School opened in 1965 and is named for John Henninger Reagan, a 19th-century U.S. Senator from Texas.
For the first two decades of its existence, Austin Reagan hosted a highly successful football program. Under coaches Travis Raven, Carroll Lundin and Wally Freytag, the Reagan Raiders formed a dynasty in Texas high school football from 1967 to 1994. In 1967, 1968 and 1970 the Raiders won Texas state championships as well as being declared national champions by then-US President Richard M. Nixon in 1970. In 1986, Mike Wright was the quarterback of the football team and with his 3000 passing yards to receivers Eddie Walker and Ken Chambers the school went far in the playoffs and almost won another State Championship in 1986.
The program experienced another resurgence in football from 1998 to 2003 under head coach Andrew Jackson culminating with the Raiders losing to Bay City in the 2001 state semi-final game. From 2008 through 2010, Reagan experienced a significant resurgence in sports, going to the playoffs in consecutive years in basketball, having four students finish tops in wrestling, and the track team for boys and girls performing as one of the top teams in state.
The school motto "Not Without Honor", was also the official school song, and was voiced by students and faculty at the end of a district sporting event, or at pep rallies.
The Reagan choir also had their own song sung at the conclusion of choir concerts, graduation and other school events.
Archival footage of the school’s marching band, performing in a 1969 parade in honour of Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong, is seen during the closing credits of Operation Avalanche, a 2016 film built on the premise of faking the Moon landing portion of the Apollo 11 mission.
- Reggie Brown, Detroit Lions Linebacker; graduated 1992
- Brendan Christian, Olympian Sprinter, graduated 2002
- Dawnna Dukes, Texas State Representative; graduated 1981
- Bill Greif, San Diego Padres pitcher; graduated 1968
- Donna Howard, Texas State Representative; graduated 1969
- Dorian Jones, Admiral U.S. Navy; graduated 1980
- Ron Kirk, U.S. Trade Representative; Former Mayor of Dallas; graduated 1972
- Austin Ligon, Co-Founder and retired CEO of CarMax; graduated 1969
- General Mark Welsh, Chief of Staff, United States Air Force, graduated 1971
- Official John H. Reagan Class of 1974 Website
- Official John H. Reagan Website
- Official AISD Website
- Schooldigger Entry on Reagan High