He was born at Bodelwyddan, the son of Sir John Williams, 1st Baronet and took by royal licence on 12 May 1842 the name of Hay before that of Williams.
Sir John is responsible for the renovation work at Bodelwyddan Castle in the mid 19th century which resulted in the house which stands on the site today.
He married in 1842 Lady Sarah Elizabeth Pitt Amherst, the daughter of William Amherst, 1st Earl Amherst. One of their children was Margaret Maria, later the wife of Sir Edmund Hope Verney. He was succeeded by his brother, Sir Hugh Williams, 3rd Baronet.
- "No. 18900". The London Gazette. 6 February 1832. p. 254.
- "No. 18907". The London Gazette. 24 February 1832. p. 413.
- "No. 19353". The London Gazette. 5 February 1836. p. 224.
- "No. 19704". The London Gazette. 5 February 1839. p. 214.
- "Sir History". Bodelwyddan Castle. Archived from the original on 8 November 2007. Retrieved 1 December 2007.
- Complete Baronetage, p.325
| High Sheriff of Anglesey
Charles Henry Evans
| High Sheriff of Flintshire
| High Sheriff of Denbighshire
|Baronetage of Great Britain|
|This Welsh biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|