John Herbert Long
John Herbert Long FRCO (1 July 1908 - 1985) was an English music teacher and organist.
The son of Herbert Long of Bury St. Edmunds, and Sophia Edith Chapman, Long was educated at Banbury Grammar School and the Royal College of Music, then studied Music at Merton College, Oxford from 1931 to 1934 (taking a B.Mus. in 1933, a B.A. in 1934), during which period he also served as the college organist. He later received an M.A. from Merton College, in 1946.
His sister was the celebrated pianist, Kathleen Long.
He married Margery Edith Barnby Tustain (1910-1993) in 1932; they had two sons.
- Organist at St. Mark's Church, Regent's Park, London 1928 - 1930
- Organist at Merton College, Oxford 1930 - 1934
- Organist at St Peter's Church, Brighton 1934 - 1938
- Organist at Beverley Minster 1938 - 1956
- Organist at St Aldate's Church, Oxford 1959 - 1963
- Music Master of Witney Grammar School 1963 onwards
- Merton College Register, 1900-1964, ed. Robert Graham Cochrane Levens, Basil Blackwell, 1964, pg 218
- Hull Daily Mail - Saturday 02 July 1938
- Levens, R.G.C., ed. (1964). Merton College Register 1900-1964. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. p. 218.