John Ingvard Kjargaard
John Ingvard Kjargaard (September 13, 1902 – July 31, 1992) was an American painter, printmaker and collage artist. He was born in Denmark in 1902 and moved to the United States at an early age. He studied art at Cooper Union in New York City and continued his studies at the University of California, Berkeley, and later with Josef Albers at the University of Hawaii. While still a student, he went to work during summer vacation in the art department of a San Francisco engraving firm, which led to his start as a color etcher.
His acrylic on canvas painting, On the Road to Hana, from 1976, is in the collection of the Honolulu Museum of Art. It demonstrates his semi-abstract style, which emphasizes the interaction of colors and the equal importance of positive and negative space. The Hawaii State Art Museum, the Honolulu Museum of Art The Library of Congress (Washington, D.C.), and the Mint Museum of Art (Charlotte, North Carolina), and are among the public collections holding work by John Ingvard Kjargaard.
- Haar, Francis and Neogy, Prithwish, Artists of Hawaii: Nineteen Painters and Sculptors, University of Hawaii Press, 1974, 82-87.
- Morse, Morse (ed.), Honolulu Printmakers, Honolulu, HI, Honolulu Academy of Arts, 2003, ISBN 0-937426-58-X
- Warinner, Emily, Hawaii's Gift to the World. A short short story. Words by Emily Warinner. Drawings by John Kjargaard, 1950.
- Yoshihara, Lisa A., Collective Visions, 1967-1997, An Exhibition Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, Art in Public Places Program, Presented at the Honolulu Museum of Art, September 3-October 12, 1997, Honolulu, State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, 1997, p. 22.
- Haar, Francis and Neogy, Prithwish, Artists of Hawaii: Nineteen Painters and Sculptors, University of Hawaii Press, 1974, p. 83
- Haar, Francis and Neogy, Prithwish, Artists of Hawaii: Nineteen Painters and Sculptors, University of Hawaii Press, 1974, p. 85
- http://www.askart.com/askart/artist.aspx?artist=105368 John Ingvard Kjargaard on AskArt.com
- Honolulu Museum of Art wall label, On the Road to Hana, 1976, acrylic on canvas, accession TCM.1983.5.497