John Joseph Enneking
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Enneking was born of German ancestry in Minster, Ohio. He was educated at Mount St. Mary's College, Cincinnati, served in the American Civil War in 1861-1862, studied art in New York and Boston, and gave it up because his eyes were weak, only to return to it after failing in the manufacture of tinware.
From 1873 to 1876 he studied in Munich under Schleich and Leier, and in Paris under Daubigny and Bonnat; and in 1878-1879 he studied in Paris again and sketched in the Netherlands. Enneking is a plein air painter, and his favorite subject is the November twilight of New England, and more generally the half lights of early spring, late autumn, and winter dawn and evening.
Enneking died at Boston in 1916. Shortly after his death, memorial exhibitions of his work were held at the Boston Art Club and in Portland, Maine. These were followed a decade later by two exhibitions at the Vose Galleries of Boston in 1922 and 1926. His family placed the bulk of his work in storage in an old warehouse in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood. After the death of his wife Mary Katharine Elliott Enneking (November 2, 1844 — October 23 1923), the paintings were forgotten. The paintings were rediscovered in the late 1950s as the warehouse was being torn down. The Vose Galleries in Boston were again involved in promoting his work, and in 1972, in the publication of Enneking's biography.
- Volpe, Christopher. "A Legacy of Beauty: Paintings in the Boston School Tradition". Traditional Fine Arts Organization. Archived from the original on 2010-11-07. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Edwards, Lee M. (1986). Domestic Bliss: Family Life in American Painting, 1840-1910. Hudson River Museum. p. 122. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Levy, Florence Nightingale (1917). American Art Directory, Volume 14. The American Federation of the Arts. p. 322.
- Pierce, Patricia Jobe and Rolf H. Kristiansen. Introduction by Robert C. Vose, Jr. (1972). John Joseph Enneking: American Impressionist Painter. Pierce Galleries, North Abington, MA. pp. 163–164.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link).
- Sammarco, Anthony Mitchell (2003). Roslindale. Arcadia Publishing. p. 7. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
Media related to John Joseph Enneking at Wikimedia Commons
- Works by or about John Joseph Enneking at Internet Archive
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Enneking, John Joseph". Encyclopædia Britannica. 9 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 647.
- Paintings by John J. Enneking, an exhibition catalog from The Metropolitan Museum of Art Libraries (fully available online as PDF)
- Bedford Fine Art Gallery: John Joseph Enneking Artwork
- John Joseph Enneking - White Water Stream Painting