John Michael Dudley
Professor John Michael Dudley is a physicist from South Auckland in New Zealand and working at the CNRS-University of Franche-Comté joint research institute in Besançon, France.
Dudley obtained B.Sc and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Auckland in 1987 and 1992 respectively. In 1992 and 1993, he carried out postdoctoral research at the University of St Andrews in Scotland before taking a lecturing position in 1994 at the University of Auckland. In 2000, he was appointed Professor at the University of Franche-Comté in Besançon, France where he heads the Optoelectronics and Photonics research group of the CNRS-University of Franche-Comté joint research institute FEMTO-ST. In 2009 he initiated, and has since chaired  the steering committee of the International Year of Light 2015. In 2012, he was elected to the Executive Board of the European Physical Society, and he served as its President from April 2013 until April 2015.
Research and Professional Interests
His research interests cover broad themes in nonlinear physics and ultrafast optics, and he is currently co-laureate of a European Research Council Advanced Grant with Professor Frederic Dias of UCD Dublin to study the physics of extreme waves in optics and hydrodynamics. In the field of optical physics, he is particularly recognized for his contributions in optical pulse metrology, nonlinear fiber optics, and especially broadband fiber supercontinuum generation. Dudley has authored more than 160 articles in international peer-reviewed journals.
Awards and distinctions
Dudley was named a member of the Institut Universitaire de France in 2005 and elected a Fellow of the Optical Society of America (FOSA) in 2007. He was an IEEE LEOS Distinguished Lecturer for the period 2008-2010 and is past Chair of the Quantum Electronics and Optics Division of the European Physical Society. In 2009, he was awarded the Grand Prix de l'Electronique Général Ferrié from the Société des Electriciens et Electroniciens (SEE) and has also received a research award from the IXCORE Foundation. He was elected as a Fellow of the IEEE (FIEEE) in 2011 and a Fellow of the European Optical Society (FEOS) in 2012. He is also a recipient of the CNRS Silver Medal in 2013, the SPIE President's Award in 2014, and the Hopkins Leadership Award of the OSA in 2015.
- "Webpage of J. M. Dudley". Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "J. M. Dudley profile on Linkedin". Archived from the original on 26 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Description of FEMTO-ST Laboratory". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Blog entry on origins of the International Year of Light
- "J. M. Dudley video: Celebration will highlight the global importance of light (SPIE Newsroom)".
- "European Physical Society News Facts and Info". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Website of the ERC Multiwave project". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "List of publications of J. M. Dudley on google scholar". Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "List of the fellows of the European Optical Society". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "List of recipients of the Silver medal of the CNRS". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- SPIE President's Award 2013
- List of Robert E. Hopkins Leadership Award laureates