Moles was the founder of Histos in 1997, an early example of on-line journal of ancient historiography. His first two published books were on chess, and he was twice the Ulster chess champion while at the Royal Belfast Academical Institution, going on to become the Irish Champion in 1966 and 1971, with the distinction of being a member of the Chess Olympiad team in 1970 and 1972.
- Plutarch; Moles, J L (1988), The Life of Cicero, Classical texts., Aris & Phillips, ISBN 9780856683619
- Moles, J L; Plutarch; University of Oxford. Faculty of Literae Humaniores (1979), A commentary on Plutarch's Brutus, University of Oxford, OCLC 230744072
- Moles, John; Wicker, Kevin (1979), French Winawer: Modern and Auxiliary Lines, Contemporary chess openings.; Batsford chess books., Batsford, ISBN 9780713420371
- Moles, John (1975), The French defence main line Winawer, Contemporary chess openings., B.T. Batsford, ISBN 9780713429213
- "John Moles (1949-2015)". English Chess Forum. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "John Moles". The Northern Echo. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- "HISTOS, The On-line Journal of Ancient Historiography". Newcastle University. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p003k9js - In Our Time podcast.