John Rankin (diplomat)
|Governor of Bermuda|
|Assumed office |
5 December 2016
|Preceded by||Ginny Ferson (acting)|
|United Kingdom High Commissioner to Sri Lanka|
|Preceded by||Peter Hayes|
|Succeeded by||James Dauris|
|United Kingdom Consul–General in Boston|
|Preceded by||George Fergusson|
|Succeeded by||Phil Budden|
John James Rankin
March 12, 1957
Rankin was educated at Hutchesons' Boys' Grammar School, the University of Glasgow (where he gained a first class honours degree in Scots law) and McGill University (where he gained a master's degree in international law). He qualified and practised as a solicitor in Scotland and was a lecturer in public law at the University of Aberdeen before joining the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in 1988. Between posts at the FCO he served at the embassy in Dublin and was the consul-general at Boston. He took up his appointment as High Commissioner to Sri Lanka and non-resident High Commissioner to the Maldives in February 2011. In 2015 he moved to be Ambassador to the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal. He was sworn in as Governor of Bermuda on 5 December 2016.
He was appointed Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) in the 2016 New Year Honours.
In February 2018, Rankin signed into law the Domestic Partnerships Act 2018, which effectively reversed the right of gay couples to marry. This made Bermuda the first jurisdiction to legalize and then repeal same-sex marriage rights. The law relating to same-sex marriage in Bermuda could change again, as the Supreme Court stated in June 2018 that repealing same-sex marriage rights was discriminatory and thus contrary to section 12 of the Bermuda Constitution.
- The Right of Self-determination: Its Nature, Content and Beneficiaries in International Law, McGill University, 1984
John Rankin has a son and two daughters.
- John Rankin, gov.uk
- RANKIN, John James, Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012
- Johnston-Barnes, Owain (19 September 2016). "Rankin named new Governor". The Royal Gazette. Bermuda. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- Change of British High Commissioner to Sri Lanka, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, 1 September 2010
- John Rankin, gov.uk
- "Bermuda welcomes new Governor". The Royal Gazette. Bermuda. 5 December 2016. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "No. 61450". The London Gazette (Supplement). 30 December 2015. p. N4.
- staff, Guardian; agencies (8 February 2018). "Bermuda becomes first jurisdiction in the world to repeal same-sex marriage". the Guardian. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
| Consul-General in Boston
| High Commissioner to Sri Lanka and the Maldives
| Ambassador to Nepal
| Governor of Bermuda