|Born||The Bronx, New York|
John Vargas was born in the Bronx and moved to Puerto Rico when his father Juan A. Maldonado was killed in Laos during the Vietnam war Upon finishing high school he was accepted to the prestigious Drama Department at Carnegie Mellon University, becoming the first Puerto Rican to graduate from its drama dept. Upon graduating, Vargas moved to Los Angeles.
John Vargas was cast in Neil Simon's film Only When I Laugh, with Marsha Mason and James Coco. The following year, he featured in the film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan in the role of Jedda, and then joined the cast of ABC's At Ease, becoming one of the first Latino actors to star in an American television sitcom.
Vargas also appeared as Oliviera in The Hanoi Hilton.
John Vargas has worked on several soap operas. He joined the cast of General Hospital in the role of Rico Chacone, and Santa Barbara as Marcos Llamera. In 2004, John was cast as Dr. Rojas in the soap opera Days of Our Lives. He also appeared in season 4, episode 11 of Star Trek: Voyager.
- Only When I Laugh (1981) - Manuel
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - Jedda
- My Tutor (1983) - Manuel
- Mass Appeal (1984) - Scott Alvarez
- Wildcats (1986) - Poolhall Man #3
- The Hanoi Hilton (1987) - Oliviera
- Last Stand at Lang Mei (1989) - Pvt. Wolfdreamer
- Sunset Park (1996) - Mr. Santiago
- In Dark Places (1997) - Karl
- Primary Colors (1998) - Lorenzo Delgado
- The Minus Man (1999) - Priest
- Largo (2000) - Lucky Moreno
- Across the Line (2000) - Alvarez
- Zoolander (2001) - Italian Designer
- The Commission (2003) - Loran Hall
- Charlotta-TS (2010) - Father Juan
- The Lost One (2015) - Gypsy
- ""At Ease" actor is veteran of war movies". Star-News. 15 April 1983. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- Gowdas, John N. (21 October 1990). "Latino plots are putting actors to work". Gadsden Times. Retrieved 2011-02-01.