John William Cunliffe
John William Cunliffe (January 20, 1865 - 1946) was a scholar and author. He was a professor and English department chairman at Columbia University and also directed the school's journalism department. He was born in England.
Cunliffe was one of the contributing editors to the Library of the World's Best Literature. He coauthored an introduction to one of the revised, updated, and expanded editions. He was succeeded at Columbia by Carl W. Ackerman.
In March 1928, Columbia University Press announced a plan to publish a survey of literature chaired by Cunliffe. Columbia University has a collection of English department correspondence that includes Cunliffe.
- Poems of the Great War by John William Cunliffe, The Macmillan Company, 1916 on behalf of the Belgian scholarship committee ISBN 9781103867745
- Leaders of the Victorian revolution (1934) by John William Cunliffe
- The influence of Seneca on Elizabethan tragedy (1893) by John William Cunliffe
- English literature during the last half-century (1919) by John William Cunliffe, a collection of essays
- English literature in the twentieth century (1933) by John William Cunliffe
- The complete works of George Gascoigne (1907) by George Gascoigne edited by John William Cunliffe
- Modern English playwrights; a short history of the English drama from 1825 (1927) by John William Cunliffe
- The Columbia University Course in Literature : Writers of Modern America, John W. Cunliffe (Chairman), Columbia University Press, New York, 1929
- Early English classical tragedies (1912) by John William Cunliffe
- Century readings for a course in English literature (1910) by John William Cunliffe
- Writing of Today : Models of Journalistic Prose by John William Cunliffe
- College English Composition (article)
- "Cunliffe, John William 1865-1946". worldcat.org. Worldcat Identities.
- "J.W. Cunliffe". loc.gov. Library of Congress.
- "COLUMBIA ALTERS JOURNALISM POLICY; J.W. Cunliffe, Director, Tells Plans to Make Courses More Useful to News Students. REPORTING TO BE STRESSED Laboratory Work in Copy Editing Will Be Concentrated -- Other Changes Are Announced". The New York Times. 24 January 1926.
- "John William Cunliffe and Ashley Horace Thorndike. Preface. Warner, et al., comp. 1917. The Library of the World's Best Literature". www.bartleby.com.
- Boylan, James R.; Boylan, Professor James (28 November 2018). Pulitzer's School: Columbia University's School of Journalism, 1903-2003. Columbia University Press. ISBN 9780231130905 – via Google Books.
- "Columbia Daily Spectator 5 March 1928 — Columbia Spectator". spectatorarchive.library.columbia.edu. Columbia University.
- Columbia University English Department Correspondence, 1896-1961 www.columbia.edu › Libraries Home
- Cunliffe, John W. (28 November 2018). "College English Composition". The English Journal. 1 (10): 591–600. doi:10.2307/801824. JSTOR 801824.