13 November 1900|
Port Talbot, Wales
|Died||10 November 1984
John "Johnny" Ring (13 November 1900 – 10 November 1984) was a Welsh dual-code international rugby union and professional rugby league footballer of the 1910s, 1920s and 1930s, playing representative level rugby union (RU) for Wales, and at club level for Aberavon Quins RFC and Aberavon RFC, as a Wing, i.e. number 11 or 14, and playing representative level rugby league (RL) for Great Britain, and Wales, and at club level for Wigan, and Rochdale Hornets, as a Wing, i.e. number 2 or 5.
Johnny Ring won a cap for Wales (RU) while at Aberavon in 1921 against England, won 6 caps for Wales (RL) in 1925–1930 while at Wigan, and won caps for Great Britain (RL) while at Wigan in 1924 against Australia, and in 1926 against New Zealand.
Challenge Cup Final appearances
County Cup Final appearances
Johnny Ring played Left-Wing, i.e. number 5, and scored a try in Wigan's 20–2 victory over Leigh in the 1922 Lancashire County Cup Final during the 1922–23 season at The Willows, Salford on Saturday 25 November 1922, played Right-Wing, i.e. number 2, and scored 3-tries in the 11-15 defeat by Swinton in the 1925 Lancashire County Cup Final during the 1925–26 season at The Cliff, Broughton on Wednesday 9 December 1925, played Left-Wing in the 5-4 victory over Widnes in the 1928 Lancashire County Cup Final during the 1928–29 season at The Willows, Salford on Saturday 24 November 1928, and played Left-Wing and scored a try in the 3-18 defeat by St Helens Recs in the 1930 Lancashire County Cup Final during the 1930–31 season at Station Road, Swinton on Saturday 29 November 1930.
Johnny Ring set Wigan's club record for most tries in a season with 62 scored during the 1925–26 Northern Rugby Football League season. The 368-tries he scored during his career at Wigan was also a club record, until extended to 478-tries by Billy Boston.
He is one of less than twenty-five Welshmen to have scored more than 1000-points in their rugby league career.
- Johnny Ring player profile at espnscrum.com
- Williams, Graham; Lush, Peter; Farrar, David (2009). The British Rugby League Records Book. London League. pp. 108–114. ISBN 978-1-903659-49-6.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Historic Wigan RL Moments: 1929 Challenge Cup Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "1922–1923 Challenge Cup Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "1928-1929 Lancashire Cup Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "RECORDS" Archived 28 November 2010 at the Wayback Machine. at wiganwarriors.com
- Robert Gate (1988). "Gone North - Volume 2". R. E. Gate. ISBN 0-9511190-3-6