Johnston High School
|Johnston High School|
6500 Northwest 100th Street|
Johnston, Iowa 50131
|Type||Comprehensive Public High School|
|School district||Johnston Community School District|
|Color(s)||Purple and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Central Iowa Metro League|
|Newspaper||The Black & White|
|Feeder schools||Johnston Middle School|
|Website||Johnston Schools Home|
Johnston High School is a public secondary school located in Johnston, Iowa. It is part of the Johnston Community School District. The school serves approximately 1,600 students in grades 10 through 12. Its principal is Ryan Woods and its associate principals are Jerry Stratton and Randy Klein.
Johnston High School's Iowa High School Athletic Association sanctioned teams include baseball, men's and women's basketball, bowling, men's and women's cross country, football, men's and women's golf, men's and women's soccer, women's softball, men's and women's swimming, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's track and field, women's volleyball and wrestling. The Dragon baseball team has won the 4A state championship in 1977, 2008, 2013 and 2017.
The Johnston School Board set a date of September 11, 2012 for a special election on a $51 million bond referendum to build a new high school on property already owned by the district. Public meetings were held in the six weeks prior to the special election. However, the measure was voted down by the community, which needed 60 percent approval to pass. On June 25, 2013, a reduced bond referendum of $41 million passed with 66% support. 
The aforementioned bond referendum involved the construction of a new high school; modifications were to be made to the then current Johnston High School, Johnston Middle School, and Wallace Elementary School to make them the new middle school, Wallace Elementary, and district administration/programming center, respectively. Renovations were completed prior to the 2017-2018 academic year, and Johnston High School was moved to its current address. 
- "Johnston Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 27, 2017.
- "Johnston High School Activities". Johnston Community School District. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "2013 IHSAA Tournament CLASS 4A STATE BASEBALL". www.iahsaa.org. Iowa High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- » 2012 Bond Referendum Vote Johnston CSD
- New Johnston high school’s $51 million bond voted down | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs
- "Construction Central". www.johnston.k12.ia.us. Retrieved 2018-04-21.
- "Construction Central » JHS Grand Opening". www.johnston.k12.ia.us. Retrieved 2018-04-21.
- Johnston High School
- Johnston High School "Innovation" varsity show choir and Johnston High School vocal music
|This Iowa school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|