Asamoah with the Kansas City Chiefs
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||July 21, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Matteson, Illinois|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||305 lb (138 kg)|
|High school:||Park Forest (IL) Rich East|
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 3 / Pick: 68|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
Jonathan Yao-Lante Asamoah (born July 21, 1988) is an American football offensive guard who is currently a free agent in the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Illinois. Asamoah was considered one of the top interior offensive linemen for the 2010 NFL Draft. Asamoah has also played for the Atlanta Falcons.
High school career
Asamoah attended Rich East High School in Park Forest, Illinois, where he was a two-time first-team SICA Green All-Conference selection and helped the offense to gain over 3,100 rushing yards. He was an All-State selection by the Chicago Sun-Times, and an All-Midwest Region selection by PrepStar.
Considered a two-star recruit by Rivals.com, Asamoah was not ranked among the nation's best offensive linemen prospects in 2005. He originally committed to Northern Illinois, but reconsidered his choice after he received an offer by Illinois.
In his initial year at Illinois, Asamoah played in five of the last six games of the season at offensive guard as a true freshman. In 2007, he started at right guard in all 13 games and was in on 991 offensive plays. He recorded 80 knockdowns, blocking for 2007 Big Ten Player of the Year Rashard Mendenhall, who later was a first-round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft.
In his junior season, Asamoah was part of an offensive line that has helped the Illini rank first in the Big Ten in total offense (448.3) and pass offense (274.5) and second in scoring offense (30.4) through 11 games.
2010 NFL Draft
Sports Illustrated noted he "lacks great bulk but is a solid run blocker." Asamoah was selected in the third round, 68th overall, by the Kansas City Chiefs. He was the highest selected Illinois offensive lineman since Brad Hopkins in 1993.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 in||305 lb||33 in||10⅛ in|
|All values from NFL combine|
Kansas City Chiefs
Asamoah started one game in the 2010 NFL season. It was a game against the Buffalo Bills. The next season, Asamoah started all games of the season.
He was cut by the Falcons on December 21, 2015.
- Brandt, Gil (July 23, 2009), Idaho's Iupti, Texas' Hall top 2010 draft interior OL prospects
- Buchanan, Olin; Dienhart, Tom; Fox, David; Huguenin, Mike; Megargee, Steve (August 22, 2009), "Preseason interior lineman power rankings", Rivals.com
- "Jon Asamoah Recruiting Profile", Rivals.com, retrieved August 22, 2009
- Richardson, Steve (August 11, 2009), 2009 Outland Trophy Watch List Announced, Football Writers Association of America
- "Jon Asamoah Combine Profile", NFL.com, retrieved February 27, 2010.
- "Chiefs add veteran offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz to bolster depth". Fox News. March 15, 2013. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- FALCONS ADD SOLIAI, ASAMOAH, JACKSON