Jonas Söderlund (born June 1, 1971) is a Swedish organizational theorist and Professor in the Department of Leadership and Organizational Behavior at the BI Norwegian Business School, and author. He is known for his work in the fields of human resource management, project management.
Youth, education and early academic career
Söderlund was born in Stockholm, Sweden in 1971, son of Söderlund Claes R. and Yvonne Elisabeth Söderlund. In 1995 he obtained his MSc in Business Administration and Economics from the Linköping University in Sweden.
After his graduation Söderlund started teaching and continued his studies at the Linköping University, In 1998 he obtained his Licentiate of Business Administration, and in 2000 his PhD in its International Graduate School of Management and Industrial Engineering (IMIE). His thesis was entitled "Time-limited and complex interaction – studies of industrial projects." In 1998 he had attended the Program in General Management at the Harvard Business School as visiting doctoral student.
Further academic career and honours
In 2000 Söderlund started as Assistant Professor at the School of Management at the Linköping University, where he was promoted to Associate Professor of Business Administration in 2003. From 2003 to 2007 he also served as Director of the Linköping Project Center at the Linköping University. In 2007 he is appointed Professor in Project Management at the BI Norwegian School of Management, and in 2008 also Adjunct Professor at the Skema Business School in Lille, France.
IN 2009 Söderlund was awarded uje HR Research Award for Best Research on HRM 2009 by the Uppsala University and the Institute for Personnel & Corporate Development (IPF). In 2011 he and Karin Bredin obtained the International Project Management Association (IPMA) Research Award 2011 for "outstanding research on HRM in project-based organizations."
- Jonas Söderlund. Time-limited and Complex Interaction: Studies of Industrial Projects. Ekonomiska institutionen, Univ. [distributör], 2000.
- Jonas Söderlund. Developing project competence : empirical regularities in competitive project operations, 2005.
- Jonas Söderlund. HRM in project-intensive firms : changes and challenges, 2006.
- Karin Bredin & Jonas Söderlund. Human resource management in project-based organizations : the HR quadriad framework, 2011.
- Jonas Söderlund. Project Management and Organization Theory: IRNOP Meets PMJ. 2014.
- Articles, a selection
- Jonas Söderlund. "Building theories of project management: past research, questions for the future." International journal of project management 22.3 (2004): 183-191.
- Söderlund, Jonas. "On the broadening scope of the research on projects: a review and a model for analysis." International Journal of Project Management 22.8 (2004): 655-667.
- Söderlund, Jonas. "Pluralism in project management: navigating the crossroads of specialization and fragmentation." International Journal of Management Reviews 13.2 (2011): 153-176.
- Bredin, Karin. "People capability of project-based organisations: A conceptual framework." International Journal of Project Management 26.5 (2008): 566-576.
- Ika, Lavagnon A. "Project success as a topic in project management journals." Project Management Journal 40.4 (2009): 6-19.
- Rodney J. Turner, Martina Huemann, Frank T. Anbari, Perspectives on Projects, 2010. p. 8
- "Jonas Söderlund, CV." at iei.liu.se, April 2012. Accessed 2017-09-21.