Jonathan London (author)
|Education||San Jose State University (M.A.)|
|Children||Aaron London, Sean London|
Jonathan London (born March 11, 1947) is an American writer of children’s books, best known as the author of the popular Froggy series.
London was born in Brooklyn, New York. His father was a career Navy officer and London lived with his parents and brother Jeff on or near Navy bases all over the country, including Puerto Rico, until he was 18 years old. In college at San Jose State University he studied history and social sciences but became a poet. After receiving an MA in Social Sciences he joined a dance company in San Francisco, wrote poetry and short fiction, and travelled around the world.
London published around 200 poems and short stories in literary magazines, worked in a union labor job, and didn’t make a living as a children’s book author until he was 45. His first published picture books were first told to his sons when they asked him to tell them a story. Aaron was five and Sean was two. They liked his stories so much he wrote them down, and one of them became FROGGY GETS DRESSED, which became a bestseller and is in on the New York Public Library 100 Picture Books Everyone Should Know list. Since then he has published over 120 books, including 30 Froggy books. Over 16 million Froggy books have sold in North America, and they are published in 8 languages, including Mandarin, Russian, Persian, Greek, and Spanish. Many Froggy titles have appeared on the New York Times and other bestseller lists.
London also writes picture books about wildlife, including Pup The Sea Otter (illustrated by his son Sean London), and has published Aaron’s Wilderness Trilogy of middle grade novels: Desolation Canyon, Bella Bella, and Grizzly Peak (illustrated by Sean London).
- 1947-, London, Jonathan (1998). Tell me a story. Shahan, Sherry. Katonah, N.Y.: Richard C. Owen Publishers. ISBN 1572741945. OCLC 38295168.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Jonathan (Paul) London (1947-) - Sidelights". biography.jrank.org. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Jonathan London". goodreads.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Jonathan London | Penguin Random House". penguinrandomhouse.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Froggy". PenguinRandomhouse.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- NSTA, National Science Teachers Association -. "Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K-12: 2016". nsta.org. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Bank Street - Children's Book Committee". bankstreet.edu. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "http://www.breakfastserials.com/author-jonathan-london.php". breakfastserials.com. Retrieved 2018-01-17. External link in
- "View List | Ann Arbor District Library". aadl.org. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Children's Choices Reading List | International Literacy Association". literacyworldwide.org. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- admin (2008-10-09). "The Lists". Reference & User Services Association (RUSA). Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- Notable Children's Books: 2016 | Booklist Online.