Madslien is features editor for the business and economics pages on the BBC News website. In addition he specialises on reporting internationally on the energy industry, aerospace and defence, as well as the motor industry.
In December 2010, Madslien was the big winner at the annual Guild of Motoring Writers Awards, where he collected three prizes. Madslien collected the journalist of the year prize for his work raising the profile of the motor industry. He was also named business writer of year and new media writer of the year. He narrowly missed out on a fourth prize after being highly commendend in the environmental writer category.
In 2007, Madslien was on the Business Journalist of the Year shortlist for his early reporting on biofuel and its advantages and shortcomings.
Prior to joining the BBC in 2000, Madslien founded and ran the television production company The Media Syndicate, making current affairs documentaries on behalf of broadcasters in many countries.
Among his productions are films about the sub-culture producing Neo-Nazi White Power music in Sweden, the challenges facing the indigenous Sami people in the High North region and Russian prostitutes working across the border in Northern Norway during the 1990s.
Also during the 1990s, Jorn worked as a television reporter/presenter for European Business News, a Dow Jones, TV-channel that was later merged with CNBC Europe. Jorn has also written for the financial press in London and New York, including publications by Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC and he is a contributing editor of books on financial derivatives.
Born in 1967 in Oslo, Norway, Jorn was a medical officer in the Norwegian cavalry, before reading philosophy at the University of Oslo and economics at the University of Leeds. He holds a master's degree in international journalism from City University, London.
- Press Gazette: Jorn Madslien collects three Guild of Motoring Writers Awards
- Guild of Motoring Writers - the winners, 2010
- BBC News website, business
- BBC News Motor Industry
- BBC News Aerospace and Defence
- Jorn Madslien speaking at SKUP, the Norwegian investigative journalism conference: Subject: follow the money. In Norwegian.[permanent dead link]
- EU car firms fail consumers' green test,Jorn Madslien University of Glasgow[permanent dead link]
- Journalisted, lists recent articles by Jorn Madslien
- Russia's Sami fight for their lives, Jorn Madslien recited by the Aboriginal Sports Circle of the Western Arctic
- 2007 Business Journalist of the Year Shortlist
- Kosmograd on Jorn Madslien's photo essay Murmansk's Gorgeous Garages
- Lingual X blog on Jorn Madslien's photo essay Murmansk's Gorgeous Garages
- Money Maker on Jorn Madslien's first drive of a BMW hydrogen car.
- Partnership for Global Security, reference to Jorn Madslien's reporting on nuclear waste
- Alia, Valerie (2010). The new media nation: indigenous peoples and global communication. Berghahn Series. Volume 2 of Anthropology of media. Berghahn Books. p. 270. ISBN 9781845454203.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-01. 2007 Business Journalist of the Year Shortlist