José W. F. Valle
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
He is a senior scientist at the Spanish Council for Scientific Research CSIC, the largest public research body in Spain, leading the Astroparticle and High Energy Group (AHEP group) of IFIC (Instituto de Física Corpuscular) at the University of Valencia.
He has contributed to the modern theory of neutrino mass and neutrino oscillation whose recent experimental discovery was a triumph of neutrino astronomy, an emerging field which has given the physics Nobel Prize in 2002 to Raymond Davis Jr. and Masatoshi Koshiba. Likewise the discovery of oscillations was awarded the physics Nobel Prize in 2015 to Arthur B. McDonald and Takaaki Kajita. It provides the only firm indication of the incompleteness of the Standard Model of particle physics with important consequences also for astrophysics and cosmology.
- Spanish Iberdrola Science & Technology Prize for Theoretical Physics in 1999
- A. von Humboldt Research Award in 2002
- Medal of the Mexican Physical Society in Particle Physics in 2014
- CERN Courier note on the occasion of the Humboldt Research Award, April-2003
- An Interview to Spanish newspaper [El Pais, October 2006.
- Neutrino detection in Spanish newspaper El Publico, May 2008, download here.
Authored a particle physics textbook Neutrinos in High Energy and Astroparticle Physics which has been reviewed at the CERN Courier
- "Highlights of Jose W. F. Valle's CV". AHEP. Retrieved 2007-11-10.
- "Unidad de Física Teórica". INSTITUTO DE FÍSICA CORPUSCULAR. Retrieved 2007-11-10.
- Schechter, J.; J. W. F. Valle (1980-06-30). "Neutrino masses in SU(2) ⊗ U(1) theories". Physical Review D. 22 (9): 2227. Bibcode:1980PhRvD..22.2227S. doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.22.2227.
- Maltoni, M.; et al. (2004). "Status of global fits to neutrino oscillations". New Journal of Physics. 6: 122. arXiv:. Bibcode:2004NJPh....6..122M. doi:10.1088/1367-2630/6/1/122.
- Citation summary profile from Inspire Energy Physics database
- Google scholar profile
- Particle theorists citation ranking from Spires HEP database (2004).
- AHEP Group official site
- IFIC AHEP popular site
- IFIC-Institut de Física Corpuscular official site
- Humboldt Prize
-  Items by or about José Valle in the Library of Congress catalogue
-  Items by or about José Valle in the German National Library catalogue
- Cited in the popular science book The Perfect Wave: With Neutrinos at the Boundary of Space and Time, by Heinrich Päs, Harvard University Press