Joseph Campbell Foundation
|Founder||Jean Erdman Campbell and Robert Walter|
|Robert Walter, co-founder and president|
Jean Erdman, co-founder and president emeritus
David Kudler, publications
Stephen Gerringer, community
The Joseph Campbell Foundation is a US not-for-profit organization dedicated to preserve, protect and perpetuate the work of influential American mythologist Joseph Campbell (1904–1987). It fosters academic and popular discussion in the fields of comparative mythology and religion, psychology and culture through its publishing program, events, local groups (Mythological RoundTable groups) and its website.
Among the initiatives undertaken by the JCF are:
- The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell, a series of books and recordings (both previously released and posthumous) that pulls together Campbell's myriad-minded work
- the Erdman Campbell Award
- the Mythological RoundTable groups, a global network of local groups that explore the subjects of comparative mythology, psychology, religion and culture
- the collection of Campbell's personal library and papers housed at the OPUS Archives and Research Center (see below) and the New York Public Library (see below)
- "About the Foundation". jcf.org. Retrieved 2019-03-21.
- "Setting Up a Foundation of Mythic Proportions," The Washington Times, December 14, 1992.
- "Thou Art That: Transforming Religious Metaphor (Spirituality)," National Catholic Register, December 7, 2001
- "Scholar Followed His Bliss in Myth," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, June 2, 2004.
- [The Erdman-Campbell Prize awarded by the Joseph Campbell Foundation The Erdman-Campbell Prize awarded by the Joseph Campbell Foundation (Mythic Imagination Institute website)]
- Leah Garchick, The San Francisco Chronicle, April 28, 2006
- "Area Mythological RoundTable," Polk County News-Journal (North Carolina), April 1, 2009
- As of July 1, 2010, the JCF website shows 65 active groups on five continents.
- "A Legend in His Own Right A library in Carpinteria is devoted to the legacy of Joseph Campbell, who celebrated myth and spirituality.," The Los Angeles Times, Oct 7, 1993
- Joseph Campbell’s papers now available at the New York Public Library, Joseph Campbell Foundation website, May 5, 2019
- Joseph Campbell Foundation
- The Joseph Campbell/Marija Gimbutas Library at Pacifica Graduate Institute
- The New York Public Library's collection of Joseph Campbell's papers