Joseph Kerski was the President of the National Council for Geographic Education in 2011. He is the author of the recent book Interpreting Our World and is the co-author of the book The Essentials of the Environment.
He has served as geographers in 4 major sectors of society, including government (with NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and the US Geological Survey), academia (with Sinte Gleska University, the University of Denver, and as MOOC instructor for Penn State University, Elmhurst College, and eNet Learning), private industry (as Education Manager for Esri), and nonprofit organizations (with roles in the National Council for Geographic Education, the American Association of Geographers, and others).
Joseph Kerski has authored over 75 chapters and articles on Geographic Information Systems (GIS), education, physical and cultural geography, mathematics, fieldwork, teaching and learning, and related topics, and makes frequent presentations at conferences and university campuses. He is active in conducting professional development training for primary and secondary educators. He has authored or co-authored 7 books, including Interpreting Our World: 100 Discoveries that Revolutionized Geography, Essentials of the Environment, Spatial Mathematics, Tribal GIS, International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning in Secondary Education, and the GIS Guide to Public Domain Data. In 2018, he gave a presentation on the Whys of Where at TEDx Vail, focusing on the importance of mapping and geotechnologies in education and society.
- "Night with a Geographer – Network of Alliances for Geographic Education – National Geographic". Alliances.nationalgeographic.com. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "10 Question GeoGeek Rapidfire – Joseph Kerski @josephkerski". gisuser.com. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- "Interview with "The Primary Geographer" – Joseph Kerski, Ph.D. - Geographer". Joseph Kerski, Ph.D. - Geographer. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- "National Geospatial Technology Center Honors Esri Education Manager with Lifetime Achievement Award". www.esri.com. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- "Iowa GIS users to meet at Central College – Central College News". Https:. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Amid frenzy over map apps, new focus on 16th century world view". Reuters.com. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "BUILDING LEADERSHIP SKILLS WITH GEOGRAPHY AND GIS EDUCATION: NOTES FROM THE SDSU COLLOQUIUM BY DR. JOSEPH KERSKI". calgeography.sdsu.edu. California Geographic Alliance. 18 Feb 2015. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- "Space Awareness Webinar: Citizen Science applied in Education". Space-awareness.org. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "What's Wrong With This Picture? The Declining Water Table: The Geography Teacher: Vol 11, No 2". Tandfonline.com. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Faculty Teaching Spotlight – DU Professional Education". www.duprofessionaled.com. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- "Dr. Joseph Kerski to deliver keynote at 2016 UW-Madison Geospatial Summit". Sco.wisc.edu. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Iowa Geographic Information Council (IGIC)Keynote Speaker – Joseph Kerski – Education Manager for ESRI – Iowa Geographic Information Council (IGIC)". Iowagic.org. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Kerski, Joseph". Aag.org. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Interpreting Our World". Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- "An Interview with Joseph Kerski, Co-author of "The Essentials of the Environment"". Https:. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "In Brief: Geography Department honors Esri Education's Joseph Kerski : Office of Media Relations : Texas State University". Txstate.edu. Retrieved September 21, 2016.