Joseph M. Hellerstein
|Joseph M. Hellerstein|
|Born||7 June 1968|
|Institutions||University of California, Berkeley|
Harvard University (B.S.)University of Wisconsin–Madison (PhD)
|Doctoral advisor||Jeffrey Naughton, Michael Stonebraker|
|Doctoral students||Sam Madden|
Joseph M. Hellerstein (born ) is professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Berkeley, where he works on database systems and computer networks. He co-founded Trifacta with Jeffrey Heer and Sean Kandel in 2012, which stemmed from their research project, Wrangler.7 June 1968
Ph.D Studies and Research
He received his PhD from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1995, for a thesis on query optimization supervised by Jeffrey Naughton and Michael Stonebraker. He has made seminal contributions to many areas of database systems, such as ad-hoc sensor networks, adaptive query processing, approximate query processing and online aggregation, declarative networking, and data stream processing.
Awards and Recognition
His work has been recognized via awards including an Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship, MIT Technology Review's inaugural TR100 list and TR10 list, Fortune 50 smartest in Tech, and three ACM-SIGMOD "Test of Time" awards. He is a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (2009). Key ideas from his research have been incorporated into commercial and open-source database software released by IBM, Oracle Corporation, and PostgreSQL. He has also held industrial posts including Director of Intel Research Labs, and Chief Scientist of Cohera Corporation.
- Library of Congress (1998-07-06). "Hellerstein, Joseph M., 1968-". Library of Congress Name Authority File. Retrieved on 2011-12-15 from http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n98044191.html.
- "Data Wrangler". vis.stanford.edu. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- Madden, S.; Franklin, M. J.; Hellerstein, J. M.; Hong, W. (2002). "TAG". ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review 36: 131. doi:10.1145/844128.844142.
- Madden, S.; Franklin, M. J.; Hellerstein, J. M.; Hong, W. (2003). "The design of an acquisitional query processor for sensor networks". Proceedings of the 2003 ACM SIGMOD international conference on Management of data - SIGMOD '03. p. 491. doi:10.1145/872757.872817. ISBN 158113634X.
- Avnur, R.; Hellerstein, J. M. (2000). "Eddies". ACM SIGMOD Record 29 (2): 261. doi:10.1145/335191.335420.
- Hellerstein, J. M.; Haas, P. J.; Wang, H. J. (1997). "Online aggregation". ACM SIGMOD Record 26 (2): 171. doi:10.1145/253262.253291.
- Chandrasekaran, S.; Shah, M. A.; Cooper, O.; Deshpande, A.; Franklin, M. J.; Hellerstein, J. M.; Hong, W.; Krishnamurthy, S.; Madden, S. R.; Reiss, F. (2003). "TelegraphCQ". Proceedings of the 2003 ACM SIGMOD international conference on on Management of data - SIGMOD '03. p. 668. doi:10.1145/872757.872857. ISBN 158113634X.
- Naone, Erica. "TR10: Cloud Programming - MIT Technology Review". MIT Technology Review. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "The 50 smartest people in tech". Fortune. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
|P ≟ NP||This biographical article relating to a computer scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|