||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (September 2012)|
He has published five collections of poetry, most recently Of This World; New and Selected Poems (Copper Canyon Press, 2008) and Country of Light (Copper Canyon Press, 2004). His work earned a Pushcart Prize in 2000 and has been featured on Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac. He was also a finalist for the Northern California Book Critics Award in 2005 and a year later was selected for a Witter Bynner Fellowship in poetry from the Library of Congress.
Varied in subject and form, Stroud’s poems include six-line lyrics, narrative prose poems, odes, homages, sustained contemplations, suites, and brief epigrammatic offerings. However it is substance, whatever form it takes, that interests him. His poetry articulates a voyage through places and times and voices, often sifting through the details of daily life, searching for miracles (“Inside the pear there’s a paradise we will never know, our only hint the sweetness of its taste.” - Comice, Below Cold Mountain).
- 2000 Pushcart Prize
- 2005 finalist for the Northern California Book Critics Award
- 2006 Witter Bynner Fellowship in poetry from the Library of Congress.
- 2011 Arts and Letters Award in Literature from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
- In the Sleep of Rivers. Capra Press. 1974. ISBN 978-0-912264-98-1.
- Signatures. BOA. 1982. ISBN 978-0-918526-38-0.
- Below Cold Mountain. Copper Canyon Press. 1998. ISBN 978-1-55659-084-9.
- Country of Light. Copper Canyon Press. 2004. ISBN 978-1-55659-205-8.
- Of This World: New and Selected Poems. Copper Canyon Press. 2008. ISBN 978-1-55659-285-0.
- Dana Gioia, Chryss Yost, Jack Hicks, eds. (2004). "Missing; Hear that Phone Ringing? Sounds Like Long Distance; Manna". California poetry: from the Gold Rush to the present. Heyday Books. ISBN 978-1-890771-72-0.
- Patrice Vecchione, ed. (2007). "Bible". Faith and Doubt: An Anthology of Poems. Illustrator Patrice Vecchione. Macmillan. ISBN 978-0-8050-8213-5.
- ""Joseph Stroud",''BOA Editions''". Boaeditions.org. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- Dana Gioia, Chryss Yost, Jack Hicks, eds. (2004). California poetry: from the Gold Rush to the present. Heyday Books. ISBN 978-1-890771-72-0.
- "Book Review". Retrieved September 10, 2012.
- "Poet and the Poem Webcasts, Library of Congress". Loc.gov. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- CHRIS WATSON (December 5, 2008). Santa Cruz (CA) Sentinel http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_11145401. Missing or empty
- "Joseph Stroud", Good Times Weekly, 31 December 2008 Archived July 17, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "American Academy of Arts and Letters - Literature Awards Press Release". Artsandletters.org. 2011-03-22. Retrieved 2012-09-10.