The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
|Edited by||Marc Swiontkowski|
|Transactions of the American Orthopedic Association, American Journal of Orthopedic Surgery, Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery|
The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Inc.
|J. Bone Jt. Surg.|
|J Bone Joint Surg|
The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery is a biweekly peer reviewed medical journal in the field of orthopedic surgery. It is published by the non-profit corporation The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Inc. It was established as the Transactions of the American Orthopedic Association in 1889, published by the American Orthopedic Association. In 1903, volume 16 of the Transactions became the first volume of the American Journal of Orthopedic Surgery, which was renamed Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery in 1919 and also became the official journal of the British Orthopaedic Association. The journal obtained its current name in 1921. As of 2016, it had a Journal Citation Reports impact factor of 4.8 and ranking of 10/197 (surgery), 2/76 (orthopedics).
The journal became the organ of the newly founded American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in 1933. A British volume was established in 1948, using the name under license from the American volume. In 1954, the American journal incorporated itself as a non-profit organization. The British volume was published by The British Editorial Society of Bone and Joint Surgery, a registered charity in the United Kingdom. The American and British volumes were completely independent of each other, and had completely different content. The British volume was renamed The Bone & Joint Journal in 2013.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- Biological Abstracts
- Chemical Abstracts
- Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature
- Energy Citations Database
- Index Medicus
The journal is the official scientific journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and is affiliated with the American Orthopaedic Association, Eastern Orthopaedic Association, Mid-America Orthopaedic Association, and the Western Orthopaedic Association. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, British volume (now titled The Bone and Joint Journal) was the official journal of the Australian Orthopaedic Association, British Orthopaedic Association, British Orthopaedic Research Society, Canadian Orthopaedic Association, Canadian Orthopaedic Research Society, European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, European Orthopaedic Research Society, Irish Orthopaedic Association, New Zealand Orthopaedic Association, and the South African Orthopaedic Association.
- H.R. Cowell (2000). "A brief history of the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery". Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (374): 136–44. PMID 10818974.
- "History". About the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- http://www.ovid.com/site/catalog/journals/11933.jsp | accessdate=13 February 2018
- "Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume" (PDF). Silverchair Information Systems. 6 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, British Volume". HighWire Press. 20 December 2004. Retrieved 2011-01-22.