Dr Julia R. Heiman is an American sexologist and psychologist. The sixth Director of The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction at Indiana University, she began on June 1, 2004. Dr. Heiman is also a professor in the Psychology Department at Indiana University with a joint appointment in the Psychiatry Department at the IU School of Medicine in Indianapolis.
Life and career
Heiman received a Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) in 1970 from Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, then a PhD in Clinical Psychology in 1975 from State University of New York at Stony Brook. She performed a predoctoral internship from 1972–1974 at the Stony Brook Psychological Center and Patchogue-Medford School District. She received postgraduate training as a National Institute of Mental Health funded postdoctoral research associate in 1975 from the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. She co-authored the self-help book Becoming Orgasmic with Joseph LoPiccolo in 1976.
Who's Who of American Women. 12th edition, 1981–1982. Wilmette, IL: Marquis Who's Who, 1981.
Who's Who of American Women. 13th edition, 1983–1984. Wilmette, IL: Marquis Who's Who, 1983.
Heiman's research is concerned with the physiological and emotional dimensions of sexuality. Her research interests include treatments for sexual difficulty, the impact of treatments for sexual difficulty on relationships, cross-cultural definitions of sexual satisfaction, sexual abuse and aggression, depression and sex, quality of sex experience in the wake of cancer, impact of childhood sexual abuse on adult relationships, and sexual risk taking.
- Kinsey Institute (2007). Julia Heiman, Ph.D. Retrieved from http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/about/heiman2.html.
- Rose, Charlie (2007-11-20). Charlie Rose Science Series: Human Sexuality. Charlie Rose Show, 20 November 2007. Retrieved from http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/8786.
- "Julia Heiman by Kate Murhpy". New York Times. January 21, 2012.
- Heiman, Julia R. (2010-08). Curriculum Vitae: Julia R. Heiman, Ph.D. August 2010. Retrieved from "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2011-06-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link).
- Biography and Genealogy Master Index. Farmington Hills, Mich.: Gale, Cengage Learning. 1980-2011.
- Kinsey Institute (2011). Julia Heiman. Retrieved from http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/about/heiman.html.