|North Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner|
|Assumed office |
15 November 2012
As a Police and Crime Commissioner, Ms Mulligan is responsible for the "efficient and effective policing" of North Yorkshire. She is paid £70,000, a salary which was set by the Senior Salaries Review Body.
In April 2013, she appointed Dave Jones as the new Chief Constable for North Yorkshire.
After a successful campaign, Mulligan will become the police and fire commissioner for North Yorkshire in the autumn of 2018. The joint plan had been opposed by North Yorkshire County Council and York City Council, but it was approved by Sajid Javid, the Home Secretary, in June 2018.
In 2006 Mulligan was elected as the ward councillor for Upper Wharfedale in Craven District where she lives. During her time as a local councillor she was a member of the Planning Committee and Policy Committee. In May 2010 Mulligan stood as the Conservative candidate for the marginal parliamentary seat of Leeds North West, losing to the incumbent Lib Dem MP Greg Mulholland.
In October 2018, a session of the North Yorkshire Police and Crime Panel upheld a complaint of bullying against Mulligan. The panel decided that four individuals had been subjected to bullying behaviour by Mulligan during her time as the Police and Crime Commissioner. The panel noted that Mulligan did not set out to bully anyone, however the examples given and evidence submitted suggested that she had displayed "characteristics of bullying behaviour". Mulligan responded that she was shocked and disappointed and that "were there a mechanism to appeal, I would certainly do so".
- "North Yorkshire police and crime commissioner results". BBC News. 16 November 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- Jones, Dave (18 April 2013). "New North Yorkshire chief constable choice criticised". BBC News. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "North Yorkshire Police commissioner to run fire service". BBC News. 13 June 2018. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- Tyack, Tom (20 October 2006). "Quarry plan a 'winning situation'". Craven Herald. Newsquest (Yorkshire & North East). Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Election 2010 - Leeds North West". BBC News. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Police chief bullying complaint upheld". BBC News. 25 October 2018. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- Minting, Stuart (26 October 2018). "Commissioner urged to review her behaviour". Darlington and Stockton Times (43–2018). p. 6. ISSN 2516-5348.