Julie Thompson Klein
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Julie Thompson Klein
|Born||1944 December 8|
|Awards||Presidents Award for Excellence in Teaching, Wayne State Univ. (1985)|
|Alma mater||University of Oregon, Oregon State University|
|Institutions||Wayne State University (current); Shimane University (1978-79)|
|Notable works||Interdisciplinarity: History, theory and practice (1990); Crossing Boundries: Knowledge, disciplinarities and interdisciplinarities (1996); The Oxford Handbook of Interdisciplinarity Ch.2 "A taxonomy of interdisciplinarity" (2010)|
Julie Thompson Klein is a professor and scholar in the field of Interdisciplinary Studies at Wayne State University. Klein is widely known as a pioneer in interdisciplinary education, and has consulted widely in academic and other settings in the field. In 2016, she was a speaker at the Centennial Symposium of the Association of American Colleges and Universities. During her 36 years at Wayne state, her publications have been heavily cited.
- Interdisciplinarity: History, Theory, and Practice. Wayne State University Press. 1990. ISBN 0-8143-2088-0.
- Crossing Boundaries: Knowledge, Disciplinarities, and Interdisciplinarities. University of Virginia Press. 1996. ISBN 978-0-8139-1679-8.
- Humanities, Culture, and Interdisciplinarity: The Changing American Academy. SUNY Press. 27 October 2005. ISBN 978-0-7914-6577-6.
- Creating Interdisciplinary Campus Cultures: A Model for Strength and Sustainability. John Wiley & Sons. 9 December 2009. ISBN 978-0-470-57315-0.
- Transdisciplinarity: Joint Problem Solving among Science, Technology, and Society: An Effective Way for Managing Complexity. (editor). Birkhäuser. 6 December 2012. ISBN 978-3-0348-8419-8.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Interdisciplining Digital Humanities: Boundary Work in an Emerging Field. University of Michigan Press. 2015. ISBN 978-0-472-07254-5.
- "Interdisciplinarity and complexity: An evolving relationship." structure 71 (1984): 72.
- "Blurring, cracking, and crossing: Permeation and the fracturing of discipline." Knowledges: Historical and critical studies in disciplinarity (1993): 185-214.
- "Prospects for transdisciplinarity." Futures 36.4 (2004): 515-526.
- "Integrative learning and interdisciplinary studies." Peer Review 7, no. 4 (2005): 8-10.
- "A platform for a shared discourse of interdisciplinary education." JSSE-Journal of Social Science Education 5, no. 4 (2006).
- "Afterword: the emergent literature on interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research evaluation." Research Evaluation 15, no. 1 (2006): 75-80.
- "Evaluation of interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research: a literature review." American Journal of Preventive Medicine 35, no. 2 (2008): S116-S123.
HASTAC, the Humanities Arts Science and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory.
- The Association of American Colleges and Universities, Centennial Symposium Speakers: Biographies, retrieved 21 December 2016
- Klein, Julie Thompson (1990). Interdisciplinarity: History, Theory, and Practice. Detroit: Wayne State University.