Just My Type
|1 October 2010|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover, paperback)|
|LC Class||Z250 .G228 2011|
Just My Type: A Book About Fonts is a nonfiction book by Simon Garfield, a British journalist and non-fiction author. The book touches on typography in our daily lives, specifically why people dislike Comic Sans, Papyrus, and Trajan Capitals; the overwhelming European popularity of Helvetica; and how a font can make a person seem such a way, such as masculine, feminine, American, British, German, or Jewish.
The first chapter, "We Don't Serve Your Type", is about why people dislike the font Comic Sans. Other widely disliked fonts are discussed in chapter 21, "The Worst Fonts in the World". Chapter 2, "Capital Offence", details font etiquette, while chapter 3, "Legibility vs. Readability", details the difference between a font being "legible" and a font being "readable." Chapters 4, "Can a font make me popular?"; 9, "What is it about the Swiss?"; 13, "Can a font be German, or Jewish?"; and 14, "American Scottish", detail how a font can make somebody or something look. Chapter 7, "Baskerville is Dead (Long Live Baskerville)", and various "fontbreaks" detail the histories of specific fonts.
Reception of Just My Type was overwhelmingly positive. The New York Times praised the book, saying that it "does for typography what Lynne Truss's best-selling Eats, Shoots & Leaves did for punctuation" and that it is a "smart, funny, and accessible book". BBC declared it a "well-written, anecdote-filled romp through the highs and lows of fontdom". The Guardian declared it "bouncy, well-informed, and wittily-designed".
Just My Type was named one of the Amazon.com Best Books of the Month for September 2011.
- Holland Jessica (2 October 2011). "Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 21 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Maslin, Janet (21 August 2011). "Font Pain and Poetry: So Much Depends on a Curve". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 September 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Gompertz, Will (18 October 2010). "BBC - Gomp/arts: Simon Garfield: A man of letters". BBC. Retrieved 13 September 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Glancey, Jonathan (4 December 2010). "Just My Type by Simon Garfield and Manuale Tipographico by Giambattista Bodoni - Review". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 September 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Amazon.com: Best Books of the Month, September 2011". Retrieved 12 September 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)