September 9, 1985 |
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, trumpet, trombone|
|Associated acts||Tyler Hilton, Teddy Geiger, Howie Day, Aaron Carter, Will Dailey and Gregory Douglass|
Justin Levinson is a singer/songwriter from Vermont.
The son of singer/songwriter Bob Levinson, Justin Levinson grew up in Vergennes, VT. In high school, he was introduced to Lester Bowie and Fontella Bass, who were traveling on a grant to bring jazz to rural areas. He attended Berklee College of Music in Boston, accepted in part due to a letter of recommendation from Bowie. He started out studying jazz trumpet, before switching to and getting his degree in songwriting.
Levinson released his first album, 1175 Boylston, in 2006, while a student at Berklee. On the album (which was named after Levinson's address at the time), he supplied the vocals and played piano, trumpet and trombone while his father played guitar, bass and drums on some tracks, with fellow Berklee student Adam Popick supplying the remaining instruments. The single "City With Two Streetlights" spent eight weeks on the CMJ Top 25 charts. Faculty members of the Berklee songwriting department also voted the album's opening track “Sunny Day” the best song of the year. Following the album's release, Levinson played the 2006 International Pop Overthrow Festival, and was named Best Male Artist at The 4th Annual IAMA (International Acoustic Music Awards).
Bury Your Love
In 2007, Levinson, by then a graduate of Berklee, released his second album, Bury Your Love. Many reviews of this record noted the influence of Elton John. The same year, he won the ASCAPLUS award and was a finalist in the USA Songwriting Competition.
Levinson's 2009 release, Predetermined Fate, had a more country-influenced style. One single on the album, "Waiting For Someone To Love Me", was played heavily on Sirius, and he was nominated for the Sirius singer-songwriter discovery of the year. Another track, “Losing You To Tennessee”, was featured on Virgin Airlines flights.
This Side of Me, This Side of You
In 2012, Levinson released This Side of Me, This Side of You, his first album with his band, The Valcours. The band is made up of Sean Witters on guitar, Seth Barbiero on bass, Josh Glass on organ and synthesizer, and Simon Plumpton on drums and sampler, with Levinson writing the songs, and the group writing the arrangements. Levinson plays piano and provides vocals. The album included a number of guest contributions as well. Boston-based recording artist Will Dailey appeared on the track "Let You Go", Burlington singer/songwriter Gregory Douglass contributed to "Love You Goodbye", and Liz Longley was on "I Was So Wrong."
Take My Time
In 2013, Levinson released the three-song EP Take My Time. Noted in reviews as a slight departure from his work with the Valcours, the EP took a more country-influenced turn on the third and final track, “Bid The Rest Goodbye”, which employs steel guitars and fiddles.
Levinson has played live in support of Apollo Sunshine, Serena Ryder, The Verve Pipe, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Matt Wertz, Chris Barron of the Spin Doctors, Grand Archives and Zox. He toured with One Tree Hill star and singer-songwriter Tyler Hilton. He has toured with Aaron Carter, opening on select dates of the After Party Tour, as well as with Teddy Geiger and Howie Day. He has appeared at NXNE and the Boston International Pop Overthrow. He has also made television performances, including on Bangor's WLBZ, Connecticut's WTNH, Backstage With Barry Nolan (Comcast), The 10 Show! (NBC Philadelphia), NECN Morning News, Fox 44 Boston, Plum TV on Martha’s Vineyard and Late Night Saturday WCAX Burlington, Vermont.
Work with Champlain Community Services
Levinson works for Champlain Community Services, an organization dedicated to help provide services and self-advocacy to developmentally disabled adults. He facilitates a show called The Advocacy Team, which airs on Vermont Community Access Media. The show features clients of Champlain Community Services interviewing local celebrities.
|Justin Levinson||1175 Boylston||CD||OutTake Records||2006|
|Justin Levinson||Bury Your Love||CD||OutTake Records||2007|
|Justin Levinson||Predetermined Fate||CD||None||2009|
|Justin Levinson & The Valcours||This Side of Me, This Side of You||CD||Justin Levinson & The Valcours||2012|
|Justin Levinson||Take My Time||CD EP||Justin Levinson||2013|
- "Bio". Bob Levinson. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Justin Levinson, Bury Your Love | Seven Days". 7dvt.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "REVIEWS | Justin Levinson - 1175 Boylston album review". Hybridmagazine.Com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Livewell, Shannon (2014). "The Charger Bulletin » Livewell's Latest". chargerbulletin.com. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
Lester Bowie and Motown legend Fontella Bass. They were both on a grant to bring jazz to rural areas and they happened to come to Vergennes, VT, where I was in school
- "Interview with Burlington, Vermont based singer-songwriter, Justin Levinson, playing The Westcott Theater on February 24th". Upstatelive.com. Archived from the original on 2014-04-19. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Justin Levinson performs on FOX25 - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25". MyFoxBoston. Archived from the original on 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "NECN Shows - News". Boston.com. 2006-08-22. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "CD REVIEW: ...1175 Boylston... Impressive Debut for Berklee Student - The Tech". Tech.mit.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Maritime Festival Announces FREE Concert Music Series (Aug 10,11,12) | Vermont Business Magazine". Vermontbiz.com. Archived from the original on 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Justin Levinson". Wacbiz.com. Archived from the original on 2011-12-30. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- rob v (2006-10-31). "Cheap Thrills - Boston: International Pop Overthrow 2006". Cheapthrillsboston.net. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "IAMA | International Acoustic Music Awards | Past Featured Artists". Inacoustic.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "JUSTIN LEVINSON - Bury Your Love (mini-CD) :: Not Lame Recordings - power pop and melodic rock record label, music and CDs". Notlame.com. Archived from the original on 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Justin Levinson "Bury Your Love" - Powerpopholic". Powerpopaholic.com. 2008-02-10. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "New Jersey Folk Festival". Njfolkfest.rutgers.edu. 2011-12-15. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "ASCAP Plus Awards Information". Ascap.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Music listings - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2009-11-19. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Justin Levinson, Predetermined Fate | Skope Entertainment Inc". Skopemag.com. 2009-11-20. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Fri 4/6 - Doors: 8:30 p.m.. Show: 9:00 p.m. 21+ $5. "Saint Solitude | Live Music at The Monkey House Winooski, VT". Monkeyhousemusic.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "First Night Burlington". First Night Burlington. Archived from the original on 2013-12-26. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Dave Dircks. "Justin Levinson LIVE at Acoustic Long Island". Acoustic Long Island. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- "Indie Spotlight: Justin Levinson and the Valcours". Culture Tease. Archived from the original on 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Justin Levinson and the Valcours". Higher Plain Music. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Peter Biello (August 2, 2012). "Levinson Captures "Feel Good Hearbreak" Vibe In New Album". VPR. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- JP's Music Blog (2012-01-20). "JP's Music Blog: CD Review: Justin Levinson Shows Us His Better "Side"". Jpsmusicblog.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Justin Levinson & The Valcours - Let You Go (feat. Will Dailey) OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO". YouTube. 2011-11-26. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Custom License. "Love You Goodbye | Justin Levinson & The Valcours". Musicxray.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "I Was So Wrong - Justin Levinson & The Valcours (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO)". YouTube. 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Plain, Higher (2012-12-04). "Justin Levinson – "Take My Time" Review". Higher Plain Music. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Haney, Shawn M. (2013-03-28). "Justin Levinson – "Take My Time" | Performer Magazine". Performermag.com. Archived from the original on 2013-10-30. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Justin Levinson – 'Take My Time EP' Review". Venturemag.co.uk. 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Justin Levinson". Nightskyentertainment.net. Archived from the original on 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- + Post an Event!. "Grand Archives, Sera Cahoone, Justin Levinson | Seven Days". 7dvt.com. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- Caitlin (October 4, 2012). "Show Review: Tyler Hilton at Il Motore". Confront Magazine. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- "Justin Levinson : Take My Time | Free Music Download". Noisetrade.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Photo: Emily Slack. "Pop star Aaron Carter remixes his image on After Party tour | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications". The NewsHouse. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- Stickle, Sarah (2014). "Arts - Vermont Cynic - University of Vermont". vermontcynic.com. Archived from the original on 19 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "NXNE 2012 Canada Music Festivals". Soundandscene.com. 2012-06-17. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Boston 2012". International Pop Overthrow. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Singer/Songwriter Justin Levinson | Video". wlbz2.com. Archived from the original on 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Stage 8 Presents: Justin Levinson". wtnh.com. 2013-01-29. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Justin Levinson & The Valcours | XMR.fm". Xmrradio.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Champlain Community Services » » Self Advocacy". Ccs-vt.org. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "vermontcam.org". vermontcam.org. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "The Advocacy Team - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports". Wcax.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.