|Born||March 16, 1981|
|Occupation||Speed climber, mountain guide, cyclist|
Karl Egloff is a Swiss-Ecuadorian athlete, mountaineer, cyclist and mountain guide, best known for his speed ascents of high mountains, including the Seven Summits.
He was well known in his native Ecuador for a record speed ascent of the volcano Cotopaxi in December 2012, climbing up and down in 1 hour 37 minutes. He came to international attention in August 2014 when he broke the athlete Kilian Jornet's record for a speed ascent of Kilimanjaro, climbing up and down in 6 hours 42 minutes. In February 2015 he also broke Jornet's record on Aconcagua, climbing up and down in 11 hours 52 minutes.
Early life and education
Born and raised in Ecuador to a Swiss father and Ecuadorian mother, he climbed mountains from an early age, assisting his father with his mountain guiding business from the age of 15. When he was 17 he moved to Zurich, Switzerland to study for a degree in business administration. While in Switzerland he served in the Swiss Army and tried unsuccessfully to train as a professional footballer.
In 2012 he began focusing on guiding and climbing, and began doing speed ascents of mountains.
Speed ascent records
- 2012. Cotopaxi, Ecuador, (5,897m). 1 hour 37 minutes, 12 December 2012.
- 2014. Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, (5,895m). 6 hours 42 minutes, 13 August 2014.
- 2015. Aconcagua, Argentina, (6,962m). 11 hours 52 minutes, 19 February 2015.
- 2016. Cerro Plomo, Chile, (5,424m). 5 hours 55 minutes, 6 January 2016.
- 2016. Huascaran, Peru, (6,655m). 11 hours 0 minutes, 30 June 2016.
- 2017. Elbrus, Russia, (5,642m). 4 hours 20 minutes, 7 May 2017.
- "Karl Egloff". Mammut. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- "Where in the World Did Karl Egloff Come From?". Outside Online. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Who is Karl Egloff? – Part one". iancorless.com – Photography, Writing, Talk Ultra Podcast. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Karl Egloff achieves third world record in speed climbing on the Elbrus mountain". El Universo. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- "Achievements - Karl Egloff". KarlEgloff.com. Retrieved 9 May 2017.