Kathleen Flake was appointed to the Richard L. Bushman chair of Mormon studies at the University of Virginia in 2013. Previously she was a professor of American Religious History at the Divinity School and Graduate Department of Religion at Vanderbilt University. She has a bachelor's degree from Brigham Young University and a J.D. from the University of Utah. She was previously an attorney based in Washington, D.C. She has an M.A. from the Catholic University of America and a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago. While a graduate student Flake took a summer seminar course for graduate students on Mormon History with Richard L. Bushman.
- Flake, Kathleen (2004). The Politics of Religious Identity: the Seating of Senator Reed Smoot, Mormon Apostle. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press. ISBN 9780807863541. OCLC 57707347.
- Book chapters
- Flake, Kathleen (2004). "Utah and Idaho: The Mormon Corridor". In Shipps, Jan; Silk, Mark; Flake, Kathleen. Religion and public life in the Mountain West: sacred landscapes in transition. Religion by Region, 2. Walnut Creek, California: AltaMira Press. ISBN 9780759106260. OCLC 466532351.
- —— (2010). The Emotional and Priestly Logic of Plural Marriage. Leonard J. Arrington Mormon History Lecture Series. Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press. ISBN 9780874218039. OCLC 659861322.
- —— (2011). "An Enduring Contest: American Christianities and the State". In Brekus, Catherine A.; Gilpin, W. Clark. American Christianities. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina. ISBN 9780807835159. OCLC 711043246.
- Journal articles
- Flake, Kathleen (October 1989). "Bearing the weight". Sunstone. 13 (5). OCLC 367219902.
- —— (April 1991). "Beholding as in a glass the glory". Sunstone. 15 (1). OCLC 367241662.
- —— (July 1993). "Supping with the Lord: a liturgical theology of the LDS sacrament". Sunstone. 16 (5). OCLC 367478682.
- —— (December 1994). "Rendering to the corporation: a personal ecclesiology" (PDF). Sunstone. 17 (3). OCLC 367486153.
- —— (Summer 1995). "'Not to be Riten': The Nature and Effects of the Mormon Temple Rite as Oral Canon". Journal of Ritual Studies. 9 (2).
- —— (Winter 2003). "Re-placing Memory: Latter-day Saint Use of Historical Monuments and Narrative in the Early Twentieth Century". Religion and American Culture: A Journal of Interpretation. 13 (1). OCLC 4893739640.
- —— (2007). "Translating Time: The Nature and Function of Joseph Smith's Narrative Canon". The Journal of Religion. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 87 (4). OCLC 174502169.
- —— (December 2010). "Protecting the Wilderness: Comments on Howe’s The Garden in the Wilderness". Church History: Studies in Christianity and Culture. 79 (4). OCLC 4893096876.
- —— (2012). "Joseph Smith's Letter from Liberty Jail: A Study in Canonization". The Journal of Religion. 92 (4). OCLC 5075294142.
- R. Scott Lloyd "New generation of historians presenting a better view of Mormonism to the world, speaker says", Deseret News, June 6, 2015
- "Interview: Kathleen Flake". The Mormons, Frontline and American Experience (Interview). PBS. 2007.
- Brooks, Joanna (May 2, 2012), Mitt Romney and the Ghost of Anti-Mormonism: An interview with historian Kathleen Flake, Religion Dispatches