August 27, 1908
Boise, Idaho, U.S.
|Died||April 30, 2002
|Resting place||Morris Hill Cemetery
|Education||College of Idaho|
|Known for||Philanthropist, wife of Albertsons founder Joe Albertson|
|Children||Barbara Jean Albertson Newman (1933–2012)|
|Parent(s)||Neunan and Ida Mae McCurry|
|Website||J.A. & Kathryn Albertson Foundation|
Born Kathryn McCurry in Boise, Idaho on August 27, 1908, she was the daughter of Neunan and Ida Mae McCurry. She attended school in the Boise school system and after graduation from Boise High School, she enrolled at the College of Idaho in Caldwell, where, in chemistry class, she met Joe Albertson.
The two fell in love. They married on New Years Day in 1930, and their lasting partnership was marked by great love, unwavering support, and respect for hard work.
Together, they started the grocery store chain that bears their name (Albertsons). Kathryn was there for Joe and for their daughter, Barbara, as the store they created grew to be one of the largest supermarket chains in America.
When Joe died in 1993, Kathryn remained active on the Albertson Corporation Board of Directors for several more years. In 1998, the company honored her by designating her Albertson’s first Director Emeritus, an honorary lifetime position on the board of directors.
J.A. and Kathryn Albertson Foundation
Kathryn and Joe believed strongly that “once you make it, you need to give back.” Together, they began to give to a number of charitable causes, often to help students who wanted to further their education. In 1966, they created the J.A. and Kathryn Albertson Foundation to help administer their personal giving.
Kathryn died at age 93 on April 30, 2002, and is interred next to her husband at Morris Hill Cemetery in Boise.
- "Kathry Albertson, philanthropist, dies". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. May 1, 2002. p. B4.
- "College's new name honors benefactor". The Bulletin. Bend, Oregon. Associated Press. November 10, 1991. p. E-11.
- "Kathryn Albertson". J.A. and Kathryn Albertson Foundation. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "Grocery magnate dies". Victoria Advocate. Texas. Associated Press. January 22, 1993. p. 8B.
- Saxon, Wolfgang (January 22, 1993). "Albertson's supermarket chain owner dead at age 86". The Ledger. Lakeland, Florida. New York Times. p. 4B.
- "Joe Albertson donates land". Spokane Daily Chronicle. Washington. Associated Press. December 17, 1979. p. 29.
- "Albertson offers to develop park". Spokane Chronicle. Washington. wire reports. August 11, 1988. p. B6.
- "It's Joe Albertson's donation: a park". Idahonian. Moscow. October 18, 1989. p. 5A.
- "Kathryn M. Albertson". Find A Grave. Retrieved September 25, 2012.