Shyamaldas Dadhavadhia (19th century), a charan, popularly referred to as Kaviraj (Hindi:king of poets) Shyamaldas was one of the early writers involved in documenting the history and culture of the Rajasthan region of India. Kaviraja shyamaldas was born in Dhokliya village of Bhilwara District in Rajasthan.His Haveli is still intact and his desecendent Kaviraja Narpat Singh lives in it.His son Samrat Deval is a Indian Foreign service officer.
Kaviraj Shyamaldas co-wrote ( with his father Kayamadana Dadhavadhia ) the Dipanga Kul Prakash, an extended narrative poem on the Dodia Rajputs of Mewar. Maharana Sajjan Singh, ruler of Udaipur (princely state), assigned Mahamahopadhayaya Kaviraj Shyamaldas the arduous task of compiling an authentic history of Mewar. Titled the Vir Vinod ( Hindi: Heroes' Delight ), this is the earliest known comprehensive history written in Mewar. It reached the public only in 1930 as Maharana Fateh Singh ( Maharana Sajjan Singh's successor) was averse to its publication.
Negotiator and mentor
Kaviraj Shyamaldas was also a confidant of Maharana Sajjan Singh and was entrusted with the delicate negotiations which resulted in a quick end to the Bhil rebellion of 1881. Later, Kaviraj Shyamaldas' pupil, Gaurishankar Hirachand Ojha also became a famed historian and writer.
Honors and awards
The Kaviraj was honored with the degree of Mahamahopadhayaya and conferred with the Kesar-e-Hind ( Lion of India) by the British Government.
- Sharma, Dasharatha (1970) Lectures on Rajput history and culture p1 Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi
- Library of Congress catalog
- Srivastava VS (1981) Cultural contours of India p37 Abhinav Publications Delhi ISBN 978-0-391-02358-1 
- Gupta RK, Bakshi SR (2008) Studies in Indian History The heritage of Rajputs p247 Sarup & Sons, New Delhi ISBN 978-81-7625-841-8 
- Studies in Indian History Vol 4 The heritage of Rajputs p 255
- Pati, Biswamoy Editor (2000) Issues in modern Indian history p88 Popular Prakashan Pvt Ltd Mumbai ISBN 978-81-7154-658-9 
- Cultural contours of India p37