Keepin' It 1600
|Genre||Weekly political commentary|
|Running time||35-75 minutes|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Home station||The Ringer|
|Hosted by||Jon Favreau, Dan Pfeiffer, Jon Lovett, Tommy Vietor|
|Original release||March 2016 – December 2016|
The podcast began in March 2016 during the US presidential primaries with weekly episodes hosted by Favreau and Pfeiffer, and continued with twice weekly episodes through the 2016 United States presidential election and the first weeks following Trump's election. The show ended in December 2016, and became the podcast Pod Save America through the hosts’ new media company, Crooked Media.
The podcast aired as a livestream show on both Periscope and Facebook Live as part of The Ringer's coverage of the presidential debates, as well as on November 8, 2016, the night of the presidential election.
The podcast featured interviews with Democrats, Republicans, and journalists, including Savannah Guthrie, Alyssa Mastromonaco, Liz Meriwether, Tom Perez, Kal Penn, Jake Tapper, David Plouffe, Robert Gibbs, Keith Ellison, Ana Navarro, and Evan McMullin.
The show had a variety of running jokes, including the prevention of politically induced "bedwetting", a segment called "Says Who?", and the advocacy of the belief that Jon Lovett is a "Straight Shooter Widely Respected on Both Sides".
By election day, the show was averaging more than 400,000 viewers per episode.
Crooked Media and Pod Save America
Keepin' it 1600 ended in December 2016. Favreau, Lovett and Vietor formed their own company, Crooked Media, and started a new podcast called Pod Save America. The show airs twice weekly, with Favreau, Lovett and Vietor hosting a Monday show and Favreau and Pfeiffer hosting a Thursday show.
- Locke, Charley. "You Heard Right: Conservatives Get Their Very Own Podcast Network".
- REBECCA NELSON (August 25, 2016). "Former Obama Speechwriter Jon Favreau on Trump, Hillary, and Becoming a Podcast Star: An interview with the co-host of Keepin' It 1600, which might just be the best political podcast out there". GQ magazine. Retrieved September 17, 2016.
...On the popular Keepin’ It 1600 podcast, Favreau and co-host Dan Pfeiffer, another former Obama aide, do their best to make sense of ... the 2016 presidential election. ... glimpse into the Washington political scene after hours, a raucous happy hour...CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 1600, Keepin' It (1 May 2016). "Keepin' It 1600".CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Ep. 1: Trump and the Media and Rubio's Missteps".
- 1600, Keepin' It (9 November 2016). "'Keepin' It 1600' Live Election Night Therapy".CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Inc, Twitter. "The Ringer @ringer". Periscope.
- "Ep. 60: 'Keepin' It 1600' Special Co-Podcast With Chuck Todd".
- "Keepin' it 1600".
- "Tommy Vietor on Twitter".
- Hartmann, Margaret. "Keepin' It 1600 Crew Launches New Podcast, 'Crooked Media' Company". Daily Intelligencer. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- McQuade, Laura Jane Standley and Eric. "The 50 Best Podcasts of 2016".
- Peele, Anna (30 December 2016). "The 7 Best New Podcasts of 2016".
- "'Keepin' It 1600' Is the Hottest Political Show of Campaign Season". 10 October 2016.
- "How the Crooked Media trio is taking on Donald Trump with "Pod Save America"". Newsweek. 2017-03-26. Retrieved 2018-01-03.