Keith Rayner (psychologist)
Rayner at UCSD in 2011
|Born||June 20, 1943
|Died||January 21, 2015 (aged 71)
San Diego, California, United States
|Residence||San Diego, California|
|Institutions||University of California, San Diego
Atkinson Professor of Psychology
|Alma mater||Bachelor of Science, Master of Science at University of Utah;
Ph.D. from Cornell University
|Known for||Cognitive Psychology, Eyetracking, Reading, Visual Perception|
Rayner obtained his B.S. and M.S. in Psychology at the University of Utah and subsequently obtained his Ph.D. from Cornell University with thesis titled The Perceptual Span and Peripheral Cues in Reading. In 1973, he was appointed Assistant Professor of Education, Psychology, and Visual Science at University of Rochester. From there, he moved to University of Massachusetts Amherst in 1981. In 2008, Rayner moved to University of California, San Diego, where he held the position of Atkinson Family Professor of Psychology. Rayner was the editor of the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition from 1990 to 1995 and editor of Psychological Review from 2004 to 2010.
Honors and awards
Rayner has received numerous awards for his achievements. In particular, he received the University of Massachusetts Amherst Chancellor’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006, the Bartlett Lecture Lifetime Achievement Award from the Experimental Psychology Society in 2007, an Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Research Award in 2009, and a UC San Diego Chancellor’s Associates Research Award in 2010. Rayner was named Carnegie Centenary Professor for 2011 by the Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland.
Rayner taught at the following universities:
- University of Rochester (Assistant Professor of Education, Psychology, and Visual Science)
- University of Massachusetts Amherst (Emeritus Distinguished Professor)
- Oxford University (Visiting Professor)
- Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study (Invited Visiting Fellow)
- University of Durham (Honorary Professor)
- Tianjin Normal University (Honorary Professor)
- University of Southampton (Honorary Professor)
- University of Potsdam (Visiting Humboldt Professor)
- University of California, San Diego (Atkinson Family Professor of Psychology)
- Keith Rayner. forevermissed.com
- Keith Rayner. legacy.com
- "Keith Rayner". psychology.ucsd.edu. Archived from the original on March 20, 2012.
- "Rayner Lab".
- Rayner, K. (1998). "Eye movements in reading and information processing: 20 years of research.". Psychological Bulletin. 124 (3): 372–422. doi:10.1037/0033-2909.124.3.372. PMID 9849112. Retrieved June 17, 2011.
- Rayner Eyetracking Lab. raynerlab.ucsd.ed
- Awards. umass.edu
- Administrator. "Sir Frederic Bartlett Lectures: 1966–2015". eps.ac.uk.
- "Division of Social Sciences". ucsd.edu.
- "Faculty Excellence Awards". ucsd.edu.