|Birth name||Kenneth Clayton Newby|
|Born||29 September 1956|
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Kenneth Newby (born 1956) is a Canadian media artist, composer-performer, educator, interaction designer, and audio producer based in British Columbia. He is known for his innovative use of technology in the creation of music, media performances, and installations. He is a Research Associate at the Center for Culture and Technology at the University of British Columbia, and Director of the Flicker Art Collaboratory at Frog Hollow, Mayne Island.
Newby was born in Victoria, British Columbia.
Newby joined the research faculty in media arts at Simon Fraser University, where he was a member of the Computational Poetics research group with Aleksandra Dulic and Martin Gotfrit. At the University of the Fraser Valley he was Associate Professor in Media Arts., where he studied creative forces in the field of computational art.
Newby created performances and exhibits which integrated new media diffusion techniques and augmented reality systems, and he developed generative systems for the composition and performance of music and visual art.
In the 2004 Newby collaborated with the group Gamelan Madu Sari on their album of Javanese music, New Nectar, and later contributed to their live performance installation, "Semar's Journey", in Vancouver.
Newby's recent work is focussed on long-term projects in generative art including the development of the Flicker Computer Assisted Composition system — a computer-aided system for the composition and performance of contemporary classical music; and Becoming World — a project in generative visual art in collaboration with Aleksandra Dulic.
Newby also worked as an interactivity consultant for Pixar Animation Studios, and as a sound artist and audio software developer at Electronic Arts.
|1993||Ecology of Souls|||
|1998/2017||Seasonal Round (an opera with libretto and vocal performance by Robert Anthony)|
|2017||Chambers — Emergence Trilogy volume one|
|2017||Elegeia — Emergence Trilogy volume two|
|2017||spectral (golden) lyric — Emergence Trilogy volume three|
Lights in a Fat City
|1995||The Shirt I Slept In||Beth Custer|
|1996||Halcyon Days||w/ Steve Roach & Stephen Kent|||
- John Shepherd; David Horn; Dave Laing, Paul Oliver, Peter Wicke (8 May 2003). Continuum Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World Part 1 Performance and Production. A&C Black. p. 486. ISBN 978-1-84714-472-0.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Electronic Musician. 13, Issues 8-12. Polyphony Publishing Company. 1997. p. 28.
- "Soundscapes". Tucson Weekly, July 1995, by Linda Kohanov
- P-form: Performance Art Magazine. Issues 34-41. Randolph Street Gallery. 1994. p. 137.
- The Beat. 16. Bongo Productions. 1997. p. 28.
- "Semar's Journey". Georgia Straight, by Alexander Varty on June 6th, 2007
- "Semar's Journey". Georgia Straight, by Alexander Varty on June 6, 2007
- "Kenneth Newby Ecology of Souls". AllMusic review; access date 26 April 2013}}
- The Wire. Volumes 131-136. C. Parker. 1995. p. 49.
- " Kenneth Newby Sirens". AllMusic Review by Sean Cooper
- CD Review. 11, Issues 1-6. WGE Pub. 1994.
- " Trance Mission Meanwhile". AllMusic Review by Jim Brenholts
- "Lights in a Fat City Sound Column". AllMusic Review .
- Memory Ground: Credits at AllMusic. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- " Stephen Kent / Steve Roach Halcyon Days". AllMusic Review by Carol Wright