Kevin McDermott (singer–songwriter)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kevin McDermott is a Scottish singer–songwriter who, with his group The Kevin McDermott Orchestra (KMO), has released eight albums over the past thirty years.
He featured on British TV’s The Tube in 1984. He is described in ‘The List’ as being 'melodically joyous and lyrically delicious.' while his songs were described as 'Teenage Fanclub melody with Radiohead tension' by MTV. His critically acclaimed first album was released in 1986 and called 'Suffocation Blues'. His album Mother Nature's Kitchen was released in 1989. The majority of McDermott's output has been with his band, the Kevin McDermott Orchestra. They comprise McDermott himself (vocals, guitar), his brother Jim (drums), Stephen Greer (bass, vocals) and Marco Rossi (guitar, vocals).
McDermott also contributed a track (entitled "The Right to Reply") to the 1986 compilation cassette Honey at the Core, which also featured tracks by then up-and-coming Glasgow artists such as Wet Wet Wet and Deacon Blue.
Kevin is known for performing intimate gigs in unusual venues and reaching out to his fans. In 2017 he performed in the living room of a fan.
In December 2017 McDermott travelled to and performed in fans’ living rooms and pubs in a bid to raise more than £1000 for charity.
- Mother Nature's Kitchen (Island CID 9920, 1989)
- Bedazzled (13 Records KMO CD1, 1991; reissued as Tula TULAD003, 1999)
- For Those In Peril From The Sea (Tula TULAD001, 1997)
- Fair And Whole (Tula TULAD002, 1998)
- The Last Supper (Iona Gold IGCDM 207, 1994)
- Orphans (1999) (free CD with 1999 reissue of Bedazzled)
- The River Sessions (2004)
- Wise To The Fade' (2008)
- "McDermott on 'The Tube'". YouTube. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Kevin McDermott Biog". Kevin McDermott Orchestra. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Singer Songwriter Kevin McDermott". PR Urgent. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Kevin McDermott". Allgigs. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Break Bread with Kevin at the Orchestra's Final Fling". The Herald. Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "Collaboration". Songwriting Magazine. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Gig in gran's living room". Daily Record. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Musician Plays gigs for charity". Daily Record. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Kevin McDermott official website
- KMO - unofficial website
- KMO Page on Allmusic
- Live at the Borderline - Dec 2005
|This Scottish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a British singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|