He was expelled during the split between the leadership of the SWP and the activists organized around George Galloway. He worked in the Westminster and Bethnal Green offices of then MP, George Galloway. It was arranged for him to speak at Socialism 2010, Chicago, 17 June 2010. He lives in Newham.
At 4.25am the attack began. The warship had neared and commandoes were lowering themselves onto the deck from helicopters. There were two motorised dinghies, carrying 14-20 commandoes, on either side of the boat.
It was clear they were armed – it was the equivalent to an SAS raid. They were all wearing paramilitary style balaclavas. The first soldiers landed on the roof of the ship, people responded instinctively with their bare hands and things you would find on a ship – pieces of wood and piping and so on. No sharp objects were used. Two soldiers were overpowered and pushed below deck. They were disarmed to prevent further injury or death. The attack opened with percussion grenades. These don’t just make a noise but send shockwaves of heavy vibration. They were trying to create terror and panic. They also used rubber coated bullets in the earlier stage. But very quickly they turned to live rounds and we were taking heavy casualties.
Nikki Enchmarch was on the top deck standing next to a Turkish man who was holding a camera. An Israeli soldier shot him in the middle of the forehead. It blew off the back of his skull and he died.
- Malcolm X: Socialism and Black Nationalism (Bookmarks, London, 1992)
- Education: Why our children deserve better than New Labour (with Chanie Rosenberg) (1999)
- "An Act Of State Terrorism", Counter Currents, Lee Sustar & Kevin Ovenden, 7 June 2010
- Syriza: Inside the Labyrinth (with Paul Mason) (September 2015)
- "SWP: central committee justifies expulsions". David Osler. 2007-11-17. Archived from the original on 4 April 2013.
- "Gaza activist Kevin Ovenden safe in Istanbul", East London Advertiser, 3 June 2010